Search the forum,

Discuss is this right?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyg0507

my elderly grandma has just had this new boiler fitted and wasnt sure if all was ok???

It seems when they couldnt put the boiler in the asked place theyd already drilled the soil pipe ready for the overflow connector then just seald it up and put in another below

Attachments

• Image147.jpg
    Image147.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Image149.jpg
    Image149.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 106
  • Image148.jpg
    Image148.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Image151.jpg
    Image151.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
only poss problem i see is the condensate(white pipe) could freeze in bad weather and may cause the boiler to lock out
sound like numptys if the drilled the soil pipe before making sure where boiler was going as the condensate is one of the last pipes to do normally

my point exactly, and the other question is the hep20 pipe the grey one it is connected to the boiler on the inside but on the outside it just has the bend and is just resting againts the brickwork, is that right??

dear god they have run the pressure relief valve in plastic as far as i can tell
were they gas safe registered??that grey pipe thatbthey have made look like a banana i assume is the pressure relief pipework
the white plastic pipe is it actually connected to the boiler it should be connected to the condensate trap on the boiler

If you look at the pic on the far right of the pipe work under the boiler you will see where both the white and grey pipe are connected, yes the were supposedly gsr, cowboys in my opinion

i can see the grey pipe connected but the white pipe on the left should be connected to the condensate trap it doesnt seem to be
if they were gsr they should have put their reg no on the sign off paperwork

I can find that info out no problem, is the instalation actually safe then???

as long as the gas is connected correctly and the flue then it will be safe
is it a good job then no

im only just starting out myself so dont know hardly anything yet but when i first walked in and saw it and then went outside and saw the rest of the cock up i was gobsmacked, the company that did the job are a big company but in all hoensty it looks like theyve had me grans knickers down( not a nice thought:)) but thats it in a nutshell

i would have it checked over just think if there getting basic stuff like this wrong then what else have they done wrong ?

the job look bad
call the gas safe out .go on the web and check the plumber number if .
look in grannie front garden for signs of gi gi out put /s--t/

good luck

The grey plastic connected to what looks like the PRV is a no! no!

In a fail situation a combi boiler can discharge steam at much higher temperatures than a plastic pipe usually takes.

Don't forget a combi might be working at 2.5 bar pressure when hot. And although the boiler temperature gauge in a fault situation may only show a temperature of 100C, that temperature is at 2.5 bar, which means the same water temperature at normal atmospheric pressure when it discharges is much higher at about 127C.

However a PRV usually opens at 3 bar which could mean a discharge temperature of 134C.

The pipe shown, looks to be Hep 2O and its only recommended to be used for a short time at 114C and probably has a melting point of 125C

But your possibly discharging at 134C.

In other words to cut out uncertainty in matters of safety, its probably better to use copper for the prv overflow which has a higher melting point of 1038C.:) :)

I cant comment on this as i have no clue on boilers, but the last pic pipework to me is untidy.

As already said, id check them out ( with ref to gas safe reg no ) and if you find out there cowboys take them to the cleaners !

They will not be gas registered,visual mistake to silly,as said pressure release pipework should be run in copper,plastic a no-no and terminated correctly,no plastic within 1m of the boiler apart from condensate,condensate should be lagged if run outside or increased to 11/4 plastic waste
Gas stuck up side of boiler ,poorly run propably not supported correctly and undersized

update on this issue, the company was gas safe registerd and are now in the process of sortin the the whole cock up out, still dont think there for real but have checked them out and alls good but would never ever have them do anything again. sloppy work and cocks ups like that could cost lives.

Hey Buddy just looked at the pictures and have to say that the plumber is very un-tidy and looks to be a bit of a cow boy i wouldnt pay for that!!

They are making a refund from the job, it was either that or get gas safe in and have it inspected and let them screw them, wich would of been more satisfactory for me but well see what they do to sort it.

what's the number then?????????
don't let them have a second go at it
you should get gas safe in soon as
if the plumber is gas safe ,how is this allow to happen.
AND IF NOT REPORTED NOW WHAT ABOUT ALL HIS PASS CLIENTS ..............

184298.gsrn

I do understand what your saying flatpack but as my elderly granma lives 140 miles away its a bit difficult to keep a watch over things or what theses cowboys are doing for her, shes actually moving back to my locality next month and another family member is moving up there this family member has been informed of the mess and is going to take it further.

All the evidence is there in the pics.

Gas Safe Register - Engineers

gas safe take 1 to 3 weeks to reply
1 number for 3 plumbers ?
good name for a plumbing company .....

with the pictures and a bill for works you will have no problem for a good result

again think of the pass clients
...................what comes around goes around
good luck

Its the same old thing isn't it?

Like car drivers are not supposed to speed. They know its wrong but they still do, unless of course a man in blue is about then its all speed limits observed.

That is why GaSafe may be better than CORGI or all those courses, that like driving lessons, are supposed to teach people to drive properly, but do they?

GaSafe make snap visits and check your work against the regs. The thing is, if you never know when they are coming, you make all your jobs good, which you should do anyway and you also make sure they are up to current standards. A bit like a road camera warning sign, if you know there is one ahead you slow down if you need too.

That is why we should have as much free information as possible going around. Then you can't say "I did not know!" because GaSafe will say "You should have known!"

And what happens if your in between ACS renewal dates and something important comes out? You won't know about it until your next ACS, which may be years away.

If gas fitters and the general public could have a central website with all gas info on it, it would be great, even a £5 entrance fee would do.

bernie i second that, me as a trainee plumber think there should be a place of info/website to inform people of certain matters/laws etcc wheter you are time served/ in training or just joe public after some reassurance of a certain matter ie. the one i asked

Hi how grandma getting on with the boiler
and what has happen to the plumbers

regards

hi flat pack, the boiler has been rectified and money returned, have contacted gas safe and have agreed to send the photos. the main thing for me is the boiler is safe now. so its just a case of getin gas safe involved to stop theses cowboys doing this again to anyone elses.

this company has 1 company number and 3x plumbers numbers,
you need to report the plumber who install and his personal number

good luck

Hi flatpack would this no be on the the invoice sheet for the job,or on some other paperwork, i presume hes signed it off so could just check it against gas safes database??

bernie i second that, me as a trainee plumber think there should be a place of info/website to inform people of certain matters/laws etcc wheter you are time served/ in training or just joe public after some reassurance of a certain matter ie. the one i asked

Hate 'em as you might, CORGI's old website did have access for anyone to get their Technical Bulletins. Do Gas Safe offer that? Do they heck as like! :mad:

I'm not a RGI, but those Technical Bulletins were pretty damn important to me and the safety of my tenants.

andy this company is run by 3 men you should report all the plumbers.
the person who invoice dear gran.
the person who install it the signed it off
if you search gas safe web you can get the names and photos and the 3 numbers

if only the company number on the invoice they are breaking the law
good luck mate

Hi flat pack, that is what i did as gran wasnt sure what she was looking at. shes due to move out this weekend and another relative is moving in so i will keep you posted on the subject, the other family member is not so forgiving or old so things should move fairly quickly.

thanks again

Hi Andy here is a bit more for the pot
How does a company or individual become a scheme member?

If a company or individual chooses to join a competent persons scheme, they are first vetted to ensure they meet the conditions of membership, including appropriate and relevant levels of competence. If they meet these conditions they are classified as 'competent persons'. The work of organisations or individuals accepted as members of a scheme is not subject to Building Control inspection. Instead, the competent person self-certifies that the work is in compliance with the Building Regulations. They issue a certificate to the consumer to this effect. In some schemes they then report the work to the scheme organisers who in turn inform the local authority that work has taken place.

keep me posted good luck mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is this right?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock