Search the forum,

Discuss Irritating noise in the loft! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomasspeed

Hi,

I am a homeowner after some quick advice. I live in a new build property. When we run the tap / drain the sink and bath in the main upstairs bathroom there is a loud cracking type sound (not dripping) which appears to come from the loft in the general vicinity of where the soil stack runs (the noise doesn't seem to happen in the downstairs wc or kitchen - probably because they have direct runs to the drains outside the house?). The noise seems to starts off quite fast as water is running but then continues and gradually slows when the water has drained. The noise can last for anything up to 10 - 15mins and its particularly irritating last thing at night before bed! Can anyone shed any light on the possible cause please?

Thanks!!

Sounds like expansion noises probably due to a pipe being restricted by tight boxing etc.
If the house is new then you need to get the builder back to sort it out.

try running just cold then just hot. if it happens only with the hot or much worse with the hot
then it is as above, expansion of the soil stack as hot water flows into it.

either live with it or get someone in to fix it !!

phone the NHBC and get them to send the builder/plumber back to sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Irritating noise in the loft! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock