Discuss Help with heights in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys. Can you please help me with the heights that i should set a basin and a bath. In my nvq 2 book it says that the bath should be between 480mm-540mm and for a basin it is 800mm.

Now this seems very low to me.

My basin is wall hung.

Look forward to your advice.

I have my nvq assessor coming to watch me install a bath tomorrow

The assessor won't measure the height of the bath.

That said the heights you mention are perfectly normal. Measure your own bath and basin and you'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to level the bath, with a long level, not a small boat level, the tiled edges are the most important ones, but it should be level all round, unless its twisted, (spent 3 hours on a cast iron bath once, trying to get the dammed thing level, but it was twisted in the casting), also make sure that the feet are firm with the lock nuts done up tight, that's if they are like that, its a long time that I have done a UK bath

Same with the wash hand basin, some of the ones I have fitted had a rounded back edge, then I used the basin shelf where the tap/s go to level, or just in front of the shelf, if the shelf is distorted

In most instances the bath panel supplied with a new bath will be 510mm high, so set the bath at 51cm high (underside of edge) from floor. Bear in mind if the floor is out of level then make sure its 510mm at its lowest height. When making up the bath and putting on the legs i always fix the legs and then lay my long level across the feet and measure and adjust the legs to 51cm from underside egde of bath, so when i drop the bath in place you will have minimum adjustments to make to get bath level and keep height for panel. As far as the basin goes i was always told its at bollock height. So if replacing old basin i would normally refit new one at the same height to hopefully use same waste hole taking into account the type of trap to be used. If your unsure of height of whb then measure a few existing basins and take the average height. groin height is a guide (as long as your not 5' tall or 7' tall)

Don't forget to level the bath, with a long level, not a small boat level, the tiled edges are the most important ones, but it should be level all round, unless its twisted, (spent 3 hours on a cast iron bath once, trying to get the dammed thing level, but it was twisted in the casting), also make sure that the feet are firm with the lock nuts done up tight, that's if they are like that, its a long time that I have done a UK bath

Same with the wash hand basin, some of the ones I have fitted had a rounded back edge, then I used the basin shelf where the tap/s go to level, or just in front of the shelf, if the shelf is distorted
basins can be a nightmare to level with rounded back edges if it got seperate tapes ive level of the tap heads but nost are mono blocks now so i level approx the same distance from the back across the bowl

mark is spot on with the basin height groin high as we say,although at the olympic stadium we are fitting thigh high,probably to accomodate kids and adults in one hit,bath height panel height first then see if you can get your trap on without chopping into flooring or screed,shame to fit your copper then find out you have got to chisel out floor in situ

Hi Measure the height of a pedestal basin that should give you a clue. Good Luck

If you really want to know.

Go to the Twyfords or Armitage Shanks site. Their average height seems to be between 800mm to 900mm.

A bath is usually to fit pre formed bath panels which can be a variety of heights or about 500mm - 600mm depending on bath trap and legs.

They give you setting out details.

Might as well get heights and that off the guys who make the stuff if you can.

You can then argue if they mark you wrong.

As a rule of thumb a basin should be around "groin height".

If your setting a bath to fit a moulded panel make sure you allow for any floor finish, its better to have any carpet or vinyl tuck under the panel.

As a rule of thumb a basin should be around "groin height".

If your setting a bath to fit a moulded panel make sure you allow for any floor finish, its better to have any carpet or vinyl tuck under the panel.

Just wanted to check if "groin height" was to the end or the start of your groin as this could make a big difference depending on the lenght of your groin as somebody like me could end up with the sink at my knee

There was a time when sinks and basins were installed at a height that suited the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with heights in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock