Discuss Going in self employed with C&G in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

ward

Hello,
Hope you can advise. I currently work full time in the motor trade but have always wanted to be in the plumbing trade!
I am unable to give up work due to needing to be able to support my family!
Any way i would like to go self employed as a plumber i have found a local course that i can do at weekends with them and i would get a
City & Guilds Level 2 Technical Certificate - 6128 Heating & Ventilation, Domestic Heating
BPEC - Water Regulations 1999
Logic - Part L Energy Efficiency
Logic - Foundation Certificate In Basic Heating & Hot Water System Design & Specification
Logic - Leginella Prevention And Control
Electrical Part P Defined Scope 17th Edition Would this allow me to go self emplyed? Am i legally alloud to do this is what i mean so long as i only advertise that im C&G trained!
My plan is to advertise and work weekends and nights until things pick up! I am a practicall person anyway i have fitted my own bathrooms kitchen myself. So im not going into this with my eyes closed i know what things to expect!
I know alot of you dont agree with these courses but this is my only way to get in the trade...
Any advise and tips woould be brilliant.
Thank you in advance

Also if i did this then wanted to do my NVQ while im self enplyed could i do that? or do u have to work for someone else to obtain NVQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ward
I think the main(first rung on the ladder) course to do is the C&G 6129 level 2.
You want to contact the various bodies within the sector:-
CIPHE(Chartered Institute Plumbing & Heating Engineers 01708 472791
JIB PMES(Joint Industry Board,Plumbing & Mechanical Engineering Services)Check the web for number.
Do a lot of research before you take the dive,and make the wrong decision or opt for the wrong course.
I just passed my 6129 recently and am starting out on my own,it's quite daunting.
You will also need to count on getting a van,stock,tools(guess you've already got some being a mechanic)public liability insurance,van insurance,advertising costs etc.
Just some things for you to think about.
The course I did was very enjoyable, and I learnt a lot from it.
Good Luck for the future

PS I was a mechanic for 6 years,and I can say I find plumbing a lot more interesting and enjoyable.

Brilliant thank you.
So would you say theC&T 6128 is a waste of time? there's so many numbers out there it gets a bit confusing!
Thanks again

I think in the time I was researching courses(I did a lot of research),there were a lot of disgruntled trainees who had parted with cash and found out it wasn't the right course.(6128)

Well ive done some more research and found a few courses local that do the c & g 6129 and nvq 2 after so am thinking this is a better option! there are so many to choose from its amazing! they all roll in at around the same price!

its the bottom rung on the ladder.your best bet is to try and find a plumber to work with.at the moment the building trade has all but collasped.also the trade is flooded with new plumbers who may have certificates but no experience.you can not train a fully competant plumber in 12 weeks.over the last year i have been called to many jobs where the client has employed a fast track plumber only to find they could not carry out the works correctly.bpec c@g must carry some of the blame for this for putting their name to these cources.one training company claims 100% pass rate but at what standerd???

hello ward, i am doing the 6129 course, and your practical work at the training centre is photographed and you do a write up how you did the task, materials used etc etc and then this is placed in your portfolio to go towards the nvq,,the portfolio must stay at the training centre because the have spot checks by the nvq assessors to make sure the training centre are doing it right..Any work you do .be it your own house,friends,relatives,photo it,write it up and stick that in your portfolio,you cant have too much work in your portfolio just too less..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going in self employed with C&G in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock