Discuss fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
have these so called plumbers damaged the industry,a straight YES or NO answers only,i have heard all the arguements ,some are genuine,hard working,good etc.it would be interesting aswell if you stated if you are an apprentice, qualified n.v.q level 2 & 3, or a fast tracker. my answer :YES. qualified level 3, through an apprenticeship

level 2... still learning daily!

I believe there's two types of plumbers 'Juniors' & 'Master' and to become a master plumber is a life time goal and doesn't come easy

You cant learn much in two weeks, can you?

My father is a retired bricklayer, he done a 5yr apprenticeship, He spent last 10yrs of his working life fixing other peoples mistake (He still is in shock now about what people think they can do)....... One guy done a job for his neighbour (an extension) and it was hardly up! Any way the guy done a 5 week evening cause and had a ticket to do that kind of work!

Yes I have to agree that eduction has been replaced with training.

We all need refreshing on current Regs etc and that is what training is there for

but it is not proper to extend a training course by a few weeks to try and educate folk

I must admit I'm fairly ignorant of many building regulations and have to try and use common sense when required.*

An example happened today: I was instructed by the customer to create a new hot and cold water supply to a different part of the house. Seems easy enough; just drill a few holes through the joists, push some pipe in and fill it with water.

BUT, the joists had already had holes drilled through for central heating under one floor board (four holes for this due to the radiator placings) and there was another hefty notch for all the cables. I decided it would be better to lift another board to place the hot and cold supply.

How much are you allowed to remove? There are measurements for where you can cut holes/notches and how big depending on the size of joist. There was also a brick in the way. Could I remove the brick or should I notch instead? I'd no idea what to do. So I guessed.

Luckily for me, an experienced electrician was also there so after I'd had a good think I asked him and he told me that in this instance I could remove the brick and then told me where to drill the holes to ensure all was safe.

However, if he wasn't there I'd have guessed and tried to use common sense (in this case I'd have done what he suggested as it happens.) It does concern me that I've been let loose to dig up peoples' houses without PROPER teaching. So far I don't think I've been dangerous but I don't know for 100% sure. I'm also lucky that I'm not too proud or frightened to ask more experience tradesmen for help and advice and view this as common sense.

* Perhaps I'm too hard on myself as I'm very self critical in what I do, including things like how neatly I've soldered and how tidy I am when working.

yes - some have damaged the trade and at the same time no. ive worked with a few fast trackers some have been really bad one or two have been pretty good,

im not apprentice trained although i have my level 2 plus my domestic gas quals and lpg.
did them all part time whilst working with a time served plumber, he set me loose on a new build after only 6 months. turned up at the job i got out he handed me some tools and materials and said, do the 1st fix for the rads, ill pick you up at 5. i was shaking when he buggered off, but ive now been in the trade 5 years ish, have one builder i work with who is 25years time served and he has told me im one of the best hes seen.

i think it depends on the person doing the course, one fella could have a habbit of bodging things whereas another person could be in the mind set of perfect is the only thing acceptable. when i was doing my courses i met some right idiots that were already trading as self employed. one of them couldnt solder a joint that was water tight.

in all honesty its down to the person doing the course, he has to have the right mental attitude aswell as the skills.

Last edited:
The theory side of plumbing/heating is easy to learn & understand,putting it into practice it a totally different thing.

To be qualified in two/three years,I would say yes in theory only,but in practically speaking ( doing the job ) my answer is no not in two weeks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
The new proposed points system has been a hot topic over the past weeks. Especially relevant is what seems to be a total stop to allowing...
Replies
Views
S
Hello everyone, In 2010 I was doing a course in plumbing, I think it was a BTEC in Plumbing level 2. It was a 2 year course which I completed and...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Hi PlumbersForums. I've been having some issues with my central heating system in a 4 year old new build property for over a year now. I have...
Replies
Views
Back