Search the forum,

Discuss Brexit - Will the new points migration system lead to a shortage of plumbers? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The new proposed points system has been a hot topic over the past weeks. Especially relevant is what seems to be a total stop to allowing "unskilled" labour into the country.
The three relevant barriers to our industry are:
1. Basic ability to speak English
2. 25k a year job
3. A-level or equivalent qualification
Failing to meet two of the three above will prohibit the person to work in the UK.

To put it into perspective these are the official migrant labour (labour without UK passport) numbers from 2018

7% of workers in the construction industry in the UK are EU27 nationals and 3% are non-EU
In London, 28% of construction workers are EU27 nationals and 7% are non-EU nationals
41% of those working in construction were self-employed
33% of the resident non-UK nationals who work in construction occupations in the UK work in general labour

If this system is implemented it looks like it will be next to impossible to come over to UK to work as a labourer, or to come over and be self employed -since you have no sponsor AND can't show a contract with a 25k a year salary (we are talking about manual workers shere not artists or mathematicians)

I think this will cause a ripple effect, as shortage is going to be felt the keenest in London I can see existing migrants going to the capital to plug the shortage and take advantage of higher wages which London construction firms can afford thanks to the very prosperous housing market. I can see younger school leavers or apprentices dropping education and doing labouring if the rates are good enough (and it doesnt take much to beat apprentice plumber's wage). Also manual workers at large leaving domestic services and going into building sites for that same reason.

Ultimately with people potentially transfering from the domestic side of things, less youngsters willing to suffer the long apprenticeships, and fewer migrants coming in to do the dometic / self employed thing (when sites can offer wages and less emphasis on having good English) will we see the ressurection of the "minted plumber" stereotype from not so long ago? Or is this whole system a load of white wash with higher proportion of our migrants becoming "illegal" technically but for all intents and purposes nothing changing at all?

Thoughts?

Anybody can set up as a plumber there might be a shortage of gas engineers as the stats indicate few new ones training and the majority of fully experienced fitters are 50+ and intend to retire over the next decade having made their money. Some far sighted Uk wide outfits I know about are discreetly recruiting under 40s Centralheatking

Although not published and I've not seen and suggestion anywhere either yet, but I would think in all employment areas if there is seen to be a shortage, then for that ( or those) areas only there will be a temporary reduction in the entry criterior untill sufficient numbers are found.

There will be something popping up like the short courses there always is

Anybody can set up as a plumber there might be a shortage of gas engineers as the stats indicate few new ones training and the majority of fully experienced fitters are 50+ and intend to retire over the next decade having made their money. Some far sighted Uk wide outfits I know about are discreetly recruiting under 40s Centralheatking

Having recently gone through the pathway to gas training scheme the introduction of 2 weeks on a classroom, then having to do a portfolio then sit your ACS seems to have decimated the short course training market. The centre we used had 3 classrooms set up for teaching 15 - 20 people at a time. The 3 weeks we were there we were the only 3 guys in the place.Training has gone from £1500 to about £10’000 and taking a week to about 6 months.

It’s obviously hard to guess how many of the guys that were a butcher one Friday and gas safe registered by the next actually found employment in plumbing and heating.

This seems to be more of a threat than banning migrant labour earning less than £25k. There can’t be many qualified guys who wouldn’t pass that test surely?

Be prepared in just a few years to see a return of the tabloid headlines. "Plumbers earn more than your bank manager" and adverts for the short courses to go with it.

yep but I don’t think they’ve stopped saying that saw something last week / a couple ago plumber earns 220k a year and doesn’t work weekends was the title

in short he works for pims in london and does 3 days straight eg 24hours as he’s on call then back to 7-6 etc

Cant see the points system having any difference apart from stopping people without the requisite skills. Same as any other trade/profession.

If there is a perceived shortage then I would think they would have a system similar to Australia who have a trades/profession in needs list and fast track immigration applications for those candidates.

I know at least 3 plumbers with university degrees, though. Perhaps 99.999% is an exaggeration. Plus, surely the requirement would be for new immigrant plumbers not for those already living in the UK?

Unfortunately qualifications dont make a good plumber, likewise a lack of qualifications dont make a bad one.

Theres no qualification for being practical, think logically and have common sense. I think these three things will get you further than a bit of paper that confirms you have a good memory.

Reply to Brexit - Will the new points migration system lead to a shortage of plumbers? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock