Search the forum,

Discuss few quick bath questions, with photo's AS ALWAYS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

k13wjd

Right guys, 1700x900 p shaped whirlpool bath.
going into this space . you'll see where the cutouts are, those are where the 2 legs stand.

SANY1179.JPG

as you'll see, the floor is cast concrete, and the surface for tiling is 25mm WBP, on battons. this gives a height of 65mm from the concrete.
SANY1180.JPG

Now, add tiles onto it, 6mm+grout, so call it 8mm ( is 2mm enough ?) and its 73mm. remember that number.

here's the legs on my bath, fully extended.
SANY1183.JPG

that gives a height of 53cm for the edge of the bath rim
SANY1185.JPG

handy then, that the path panel is : u guessed it, 53cm tall
SANY1186.JPG

So, in order to get the panel to fit without cutting it ( not an option) i need to raise the bath off the floor by 73mm, give or take. its likely to be 75 then drop the legs by 3mm.

Now, whats the best way to do that, the concrete is cast, so isnt smooth+flat. i have thought of a number of options :

I have a half sheet of 25mm ply left. i could cut 12 peices 6'x6'. 3 peices together ( maybe bond + screw) would give a nice 75mm platform, and i could stick these to the floor in the right places.

i could make up a 8'x8' frame from timber, seal it to the floor, and pour in some mortar - level it off, and leave it to set. obv 75mm. that would get me a nice flat surface.

OR, i could go to my local timberyard, and see what he has thats 75mm ( let the jokes start)

You could use all your options what ever is easy for yourself no right or wrong way as long as is secure and might be a good idea to put a bit of DPC under any timber

We never ever fully extend the twist legs on the grp/plastic baths. They are wobbly enough without fully extending the legs
So do as above get some timber to make up as much of the difference as possible c/w some dpm.

centralheatking

the WPB is nice and easy, but it'd need to make sure it was flat, and they were all fairly level.

so you are suggesting i go higher than 75mm ??? let the bath down on the stilts and re-measure ?????

it does sound sensible, the design of the bath legs is very poor IMO.

Yeah, go higher than 75mm, get some timber in there. The centralheatingking is right. You don't want the legs over extended.

It's a shame you have to go so high, it's going to be a job to throw your leg over to get in, and quite a step down. Doesn't look like you can help it though. Good luck, and nice photos!

Dan

Hmmmm....but the bath won't actaully be any higher than it would have been........relative to the floor anyway.

to add to my problems,. i just got banned from uktilers forum FOR NOTHING.....Grrrrrr. need to find a tiler another way now.

100mm is 4 thicknesses of the ply i have here. i'll meausre how much movement i have on the legs.if i had my way, i'd remove the legs all together, and just rest the metal framework onto the wood - couple of screws in there and jobs a good un !

ply - I presume thats ok for bearing weight ????

so long as i can get them flat it'll be fine and dandy

perhaps im missing something,probably not read the thread properly
1 why put the wbp on batons why not tile straight to the floor
or screw the board staright the floor instaed of screwing the batons
bob

The panel is "u" shaped, see the last photo, thats the panel. That little 2 inch angled peice is at the top AND the bottom of the panel.

there is little sping clamps that grab it when the panel is pushed in.....so if i cut it, there will be nothing to hold it.

I did consider cutting it, and then screwing it to a peice of CLS behind it - it'll look rough though.

Besides, chances of getting a GREAT finish on a cut that long. it'll meet the floor, and black shiny tiles.....so any flaw will be obvious ( to me at least)

Buff.

Cast concrete HOUSE - so that floor is the "roof" to my downstairs. Hence all my wiring and plumbing/central heating is in that gap between the concrete and the ply.

Nothing simple eh

starting to get it now!
i actually cut one on sunday,admitally to a cushion/lino floor
would it be better to completly board the floor
bob

starting to get it now!
i actually cut one on sunday,admitally to a cushion/lino floor
would it be better to completly board the floor
bob

i DID consider that mate, But its a load of hassle to do that now. its been a long project ( complete newbie just fitted a full central heating system from scratch !)

AND, thinking about it, if it was going on a flat floor, the legs need to be RIGHT at the end of the threads to fit the bath panel under it. Pretty poor design IMO....but then again, it's a £400 bath !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to few quick bath questions, with photo's AS ALWAYS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock