Search the forum,

Discuss fatality in GS mag in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a job where some scaffolding was to be put up, the flue from boiler in kitchen was in the way of where they wanted to put scaffold bars, so they pulled the flue out and put it on the floor. They didn't tell anyone and the boiler was on as normal overnight. Luckily I was there the next day and noticed it, customer didn't notice anything.

We had a job where some scaffolding was to be put up, the flue from boiler in kitchen was in the way of where they wanted to put scaffold bars, so they pulled the flue out and put it on the floor. They didn't tell anyone and the boiler was on as normal overnight. Luckily I was there the next day and noticed it, customer didn't notice anything.

immensely lucky there was not a fatality where the scaffolders brain dead

immensely lucky there was not a fatality where the scaffolders brain dead

In fairness, generally it's only those of us who've been trained with these boilers who appreciate how dangerous they are.

Sometimes things are taken a little too far; a little while back OFTEC brought out a magic piece of equipment (around ÂŁ300) to test the fire valve. They also decreed it too dangerous to ask for a cup of tea so you could dip the fire valve phial into it to see if it triggered and was working. As someone pointed out, we're allowed to meddle with machines giving flames of over 400 degrees but not allowed to dip a piece of equipment into some hot water.

ye that happened to a mate of mine ,flue in the way of the scaffolding so they removed the terminal and never told anyone ,some bird decided to nest in there ,it never stayed long,so obviously it had been off a while same thing luckly someone spotted it and refused to pay for the scaffolding till it was fixed the flue was just there with no outer cover and a hole in the cavity

Last edited by a moderator:
I am constantly asked how important are the securing self tappers, when I report them missing on gas safety checks. Well I surpose we now have the answer. There are loads of installations out there that the fitters have chosen not to fit the flues in accorrdance with the manufacturer instructions. "I get told your just being picky" I just say, "Its on the report and down to you then", but at least it's reported. Is this NCS or AR though?

I am constantly asked how important are the securing self tappers, when I report them missing on gas safety checks. Well I surpose we now have the answer. There are loads of installations out there that the fitters have chosen not to fit the flues in accorrdance with the manufacturer instructions. "I get told your just being picky" I just say, "Its on the report and down to you then", but at least it's reported. Is this NCS or AR though?

good question

if you look at the design of a condenser flue regman(as i am sure you have) they could not come apart if self tappers were used strait through the air duct/outer part of the flue a simple but effective modification IMHO push-fit is not adequate,the HSE and GASSAFE need to address this issue but they wont on one fatality sadly

This is an area which is of great concern. It seems to be addresses as AR when hidden in voids with no inspection hatches, but when it comes straight off a flue turret and through a wall and the flue is cemented in; so no movement can occurr, then I would tend to treat it as NCS. Ideal situation is to carry a drill and screw on the safety checks and fix it during there and then.

personally for me i just double check everything ,i have a look round when am done,snaging so to speak ,check the flue before any covers are on ,also i dont cement ,i stick stuff in that you can get out like insulation or just a little spray foam,so if need be u can always check it,and if i have to buy extra brackets and its my cost so be it, least i can leave a job knowing its safe and i can sleep would never live with myself if owt happened .hate killing a spider

i thought anything flueing that could be dangerous is id,even if its ar its still dangerous and not switched on till fixed

personally for me i just double check everything ,i have a look round when am done,snaging so to speak ,check the flue before any covers are on ,also i dont cement ,i stick stuff in that you can get out like insulation or just a little spray foam,so if need be u can always check it,and if i have to buy extra brackets and its my cost so be it, least i can leave a job knowing its safe and i can sleep would never live with myself if owt happened .hate killing a spider

i thought anything flueing that could be dangerous is id,even if its ar its still dangerous and not switched on till fixed

this is the target phrase that makes my decision on what to classify it as, "could or may lead to " means AR, "Is failing" means ID

maybe my way of explaining things not clear ,lol yep agree with you kirkgas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fatality in GS mag in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock