Search the forum,

Discuss fatality in GS mag in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

anyone else see the report and pictures of the fatality caused by a problem with a horizontal flue on a 38kw ferroli he combi? problem caused by a badly fitting/damaged flue bend and not made good either absolutely tragic outcome killing the guy in residence and this was with a rgi cutting corners they found problems on most of his work i have always felt push fit flues are not addequete they need self tappers as well

haven't read it but it is very tragic, some fitters do not understand what the importance of making a gas installation safe prior to use, just a reminder of how these situations can kill, and very quickly.

Dont know much about gas but wouldn't push fit flues be as dangerous as push fit gas fittings? Both dangerous gases...

Dont know much about gas but wouldn't push fit flues be as dangerous as push fit gas fittings? Both dangerous gases...

push fit flues the norm with he boilers problem is if manufacturers approve it and its in their instructions nothing us rgi can do about it

Unfortuntly it might take accidents like this to get rid of them for something more substantial

i dont think any gsr will leave flue as it shown on magazine !!!
have seen bad installs but this is not real !!!
has he not realised that flue has been separated ?????
or some one has pull the flue from out said .have not install any of this boilers !dont they come with self tapers ?

My mag is still in the plastic covering on the side so I havent seen this yet, its not that often Ive ever done a really long/awkward flue. I will however go overboard on clips, every joint etc nice solid firm fixing that will stand up to me trying to pull it apart.

i dont think any gsr will leave flue as it shown on magazine !!!
have seen bad installs but this is not real !!!
has he not realised that flue has been separated ?????
or some one has pull the flue from out said .have not install any of this boilers !dont they come with self tapers ?

dont do ferrolis as they are tat but baxi dont do self taps either

gas man aswell as self tapers shouldnt it have tape as well usually comes with the flue if not then have some on the van

Would like to know more about this. Where did it happen and when? Would like to get a copy of the story.

F***ing hell, The pictures are shocking, Ive no simpathy for the installer at all, 5yr prison sentance isnt enough, I hope he meets lots of new friends in the showers. His poor cat died too, which was seen lying dead in the kitchen through the window so they raised the alarm.

Blimey, I have to see this. Haven't recieved my mag yet, but that's not new.

Oh and at Puratherm, you can download all the previous edditions of the mag via the GS website mate.

Yeah, just took a squint myself. Can't believe he actually left it like that. Almost looks like someone has purposely damaged it?

I dunno, there's cutting corners and theres total disregard for people.

I'm not sure that flue wasn't pulled about by someone? Though it does say they found lots of other examples of shoddy flue work by the same bloke. Maybe he's just a lasher.

Next we'll have compulsory CO alarms, and frankly who's going to argue with it?

Yeah, just took a squint myself. Can't believe he actually left it like that. Almost looks like someone has purposely damaged it?

I dunno, there's cutting corners and theres total disregard for people.

I'm not sure that flue wasn't pulled about by someone? Though it does say they found lots of other examples of shoddy flue work by the same bloke. Maybe he's just a lasher.

Next we'll have compulsory CO alarms, and frankly who's going to argue with it?
Of the 200 sites of work the inspectors visited that hed done work at, only 6 installs were satisfactary. That photo was as the inspectors found it, it looks like the hole was drilled too low for it to match up with the boiler so hes just never connected it up to the elbow.

my understanding of it was he damaged the bend and the flue came out possibly dis lodged the rubber seal,did not make good a bit of fan pressure or co rate out =explosive ignition for arguments sake never fitted right flue dis lodged

my understanding of it was he damaged the bend and the flue came out possibly dis lodged the rubber seal,did not make good a bit of fan pressure or co rate out =explosive ignition for arguments sake never fitted right flue dis lodged
Yes that would make more sense as I cant belive that hed just leave it unconected.

why do they give it to you then,with the flue seen it on loads ive took out going tho the cavity

Last edited by a moderator:
still when these sad events happen,me like every other RGI on here it scares the s*** out of you because we can all sleep at night we do it right but.....we have concisenesses this guy did not thats the difference, sad none the less

It's bad enough what the idiot did, but according to the article he showed no remorse during the trial and was extremely arrogant. If I did anything that endangered someones life, let alone kill them, I could not live with myself.

why do they give it to you then,with the flue seen it on loads ive took out going tho the cavity

mi,s again metal dust they contravene the gsiur but we have to comply,that does not make it right

belt and braces! co detectors should be a requirement i tell em all to get one fitted nobody has said no!

belt and braces! co detectors should be a requirement i tell em all to get one fitted nobody has said no!

Couldn't agree more. Its been made compulsory on all solid fuel appliances.....

Think they're missing the point though!

Just got the issue through

Think this guy was trying to hurt someone,could have been trying to become a serial killer !

Out of 150 of his boiler installations checked,47 were found classed as 'at risk',immediately dangerous',or reportable under riddor !!

Anyone who has run a boiler with the flue not connected,will know you can tell straightaway by the noise and you would sense the fumes almost straight away

Think there are mental issues here,as said ,think he was trying to hurt someone,5 years is a joke,taking above into account

imho

Mr Ellis... rest in peace and sincere condolences to family and friends

Just got the issue through

Think this guy was trying to hurt someone,could have been trying to become a serial killer !

Out of 150 of his boiler installations checked,47 were found classed as 'at risk',immediately dangerous',or reportable under riddor !!

Anyone who has run a boiler with the flue not connected,will know you can tell straightaway by the noise and you would sense the fumes almost straight away

Think there are mental issues here,as said ,think he was trying to hurt someone,5 years is a joke,taking above into account

imho

Mr Ellis... rest in peace and sincere condolences to family and friends

Gotta agree with this Puddle 5 Years is never enough he should be hung in my opinion that way no remorse could be shown to him, its scary to think about he passed the same tests we all have and thats what he does with it thats just a joke

never said it was right gas man ,just wondered why they supply it/them with the flue ,all a bit naughty to me,an wasnt saying i would do it that way but shorley its safer to use the tape than none atall and you get stuff happening like this bloke if ye get my point ,obviously you have to go by the mi,s wasnt on about rules or regs was just making a general point most flues are fixed its only them worcester telescopic ones that it comes with,its just open invertation for someone to use it if its there.

if manufactureres instructions say tape the joint then you have to obey them as mi's over rule everything elsesome boilers come with see through tape which alows inspection of the joint
what i cant work out is why telescopic flues are allowed to have the join inside the wall when all joints a supposed to be accesable for inspection its normally these joints that come with opaque tape as no one will ever onspect it

yep thats the point am trying to make ste the plumber altho not very good ,lol i no about the mi,s

just wonder how someone can walk away from a boiler in that state also knowing theres a hole in the roof so ye lying in the bath and ye a gonner did ,he not check the flue or fga it

Contradiction against contradiction that is what you are going to find when the powers that be interfere to much ,which is what is happening,the basic regulations are being stretched this way and that.

We had/have a problem about flues with extensions falling apart,instead of going back to the manufacturers and saying 'come on lads ,sort it out,improve the quality of the joints,they say 'have inspection points for concealed flues',so when they do fall apart,we can see(if it is a rented property or boiler starts playing up and ever inspected),make the flues ,so they can not fall apart.

You say we follow manufacturers instructions,in fact we can not,I fitted a vaillent with a 3.5m rum straight to out side,I drilled and screwed up joints but still had to fit twice as many wall brackets as mi said to make sure secure to my humble standards,if I had fitted brackets as they said it would have bowed at the joints,joints would have held as screwed together but excess pressure put on them and would look very poor but how often have we seen flue like this

I have purchased plumage kits and had to purchase and mess about getting an extra wall bracket as the one or two supplied not enough
Volkers used to be very popular boilers in the eighties and early nineties,now you see very few,(although making a come back)the sales dropped dramatically,not because of the boiler,which are quite good but because they brought out a cheap plastic flue that was larger than all others and the top elbows feel apart,we the fitters changed boilers for safety not the manufacturers and ,then corgi organisation,they all sat back

If the gas regulators took gas safety seriously at source ie,with manufacturers in the design stages,a lot of regulations would not require up dating because unsafe situations would not arise as due to the manufacturer quality they would not be able to... ,end of
And the costs involved in improving products are pennies,if done at the manufacturing stages

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
my sentiments exactly puddle,you only have to look at a modern vailent flue terrible quality,and this in my opinion should be the one part above criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fatality in GS mag in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock