Search the forum,

Discuss earth bonding of new towel radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyg0507

hi all just wanted a bit of advice,

bought a new towel rail for my bathroom, got to have new valves, and move pipe work a bit wich isnt the problem.

but what im wondering is does this have to earth bonded,towel rail or pipe work below, there is no earth connected to current rad.

answers on a postcard

cheers:)

i believe both the towel rail and pipework need earthing in the bathroom.

is it possible to connect eart wire from one clip to another then?? would this be satisfactory??

You are talking about "supplementary equipotential bonding" which requires the flow and return of a rad situated in a bathroom to be bonded together and connected back to the earth, same applies to SS sink tops, steel windows, steel fire escapes,
(unless it has changed since the 15th edition)

yes bob i am, but there are no, or should i say there are non visible in my current bathroom, once ive got the floor boards up to re route the pipes i might see something.

the other thing is the new rad has no connection point for the bonding, or are the just connected to the flow and return out of sight??

if there isint any can you just run off another earth bond clip????

The earth connections are made to the pipes it does not matter if above or below the floor.

The rad itself is not connected,

You can connect to other bonding,

Their could be an issue with earth cable size, perhaps another lister can advise.

(unless it has changed since the 15th edition)

15th to 17th edition is as different to lead & copper if you get my drift

depending on your existing electrical instalation it could need it or it might not, I know this does not answer your question but a competent person could check weather it needed bonding after its fitted in 10 mins with a resistance to earth check I.E it should be less than 5 ohms with a test current of 25A or greater than 0.25 M ohms if it between these values it needs bonding

All pipework needs bonding to the CPC's of the circuits in the bathroom.

So, lighting circuit cpc, to (if there is one) shower circuit CPC etc, to all pipework of it is copper.

IF ALL the circuits in the bathroom are protected by an RCD at the CU then there is generally no requirement to do the above.

hi there is an rcd , and everything is earth connected in and around the hwc, does this count as earth to all pipes connected:confused:.

as ive said before there is nothing in the current bathroom wich(visible) is supplementry bonded, so could it just be that its a case of swaping rad, re routing pipe work etc and everythings as is.

contemplating geting a sparky in just for verifacation.

better safe than sorry.:)

My mothers just had a heating system put in under a goverment grant scheme, when the sparky turned up he put a earth wire to one of the pipes feeding the bathroom rad under the valve and then a link from that to a clip on the rad, his work will be inspected so i can only presume he,s done it by the book :), hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to earth bonding of new towel radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock