Search the forum,

Discuss Damp or a leak ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gertygumdrops

Hi all, I have recently fitted a new bathroom suite for a customer and sited the thermostatic shower on the shared wall with next door. The bathroom pre fitting was an absolute disgrace with cracked tiles, mildew and a leaking bath. 8 months later I have received a call from the customer saying that the next door neighbours are complaining that the shared wall is damp. The neighbours had decorated just before I started the refit and painted the adjoining wall, and sited a mirror on it. They have just noticed that the area on the back of the mirror is damp. I have asked them to leave the mirror off for a while to see what happens. The wall remained dry, but on placing the mirror back damp reappeared. My question is ; has anyone come across this before? I am loathed to start breaking into the wall to investigate a leaking pipe ( there were a couple of compression fittings used ), as I suspect it is still damp from years of use of the neglected bathroom. I have had a chat with the neighbour and told them to give it a couple more months to see if it settles down, but it is causing me concern in the meantime. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

It's probably the mirror itself thats causing the problem, if it fits flush
to the wall then there is no room for the air to circulate and damp appears
after they have had hot showers, baths etc. Ive seen this in both bathrooms and even kitchens where dressers and other items have been moved to reveal a damp and mouldy patch. Im not saying there is not a problem only that this is a common cause especially in older properties, hope this helps!

Would point to condensation(maybe warm wall from pipework and cold mirrror back or could be warm air in flat against cold,badly insulated wall) anyway would suggest they can replace mirror on wall ,if they wish,however but place spacers behind to allow air circulation or insulate back of mirror or both,but allowing air circulation at back of mirror shold be enough

Last edited by a moderator:
The obviouse thing seems to be the mirror. If its not damp without the mirror, but damp with it. There doesn't seem to be much doubt.

abd the other thing is, as you will know,
never use comp fits where you cant service them eh?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damp or a leak ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock