Search the forum,

Discuss curing an airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumdum

i know the theory about curing an airlock, that you connect from the mains fed cold tap to the offending hot water tap.
but if theres no way you can fit on a hose pipe to the taps,
then how are you supposed to do it ?

If the tap has an isolating valve, you can screw a plastic hozelock fitting on to that.

I always carry a couple of connectors that can clamp to just about any shape tap spout, allowing a hose to be connected. I think I bought them in a hardware shop - maybe Robert Dyas?

They don't fit over the spout, they have a rubber pad with a hole in that is pressed onto the end of the spout by tightening the clamp to give a reasonably watertight seal - it usually drips a bit though (into the sink).

a good way is to connect a washing machine hose between the hot and cold washing machine valves. if its accesable its quite handy.

The cold feed that fills the cistern (if its mains fed) is made to take a tap connector.

Hi. ~If its a mixer tap? Push a milk bottle against spout and a bit of rag to minimise squirts. (turn both taps on first) Good Luck

put a hose into the cold oulet pipe which is airlocked and run mains water through with the tap open..

[an alternative way to get the mains water ]if there is a valve on the feed to the ball valve then just get a length of pipe to extend down to the air locked cold feed. once finnished then re connect the mains to ball valve !!! the mains water will flush the air out every time on a gravity dhw system!!

Hi
The best way i find clearing an air lock on the hot water
shut the cold feed to the cylinder and drain the cylinder you only need to drain enough to clear open vent then open hot tap then open the cold feed to cylinder this works every time .
good luck

Take off spout from mixer tap in kitchen and put a cloth over and turn both on. ;)

if it has non return valves fitted that will not work

It may not have a mixer tap in the kitchen and if it has it may have non return valves fitted so that will not cure the problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Charlie, I think your method will work from what I see of the problem. Can I just ask the best method to (partially) drain the tank? Undoing the vent pipe? Removing the immersion heater element? Other? Or am I talking nonsence? I won't be offended! Any help appreciated. Had slow flow for months now!!

Cheers
Val

Hi Valpenguin

1 If you put a hose on the drain cock should be at bottom of cold fill or on cylinder

2 turn off gate valve to cylinder either in cupboard or loft or put bung in outlet on tank

3 open the drain cock let run for 10-15 mins you should see air bubbles coming from hose

4 close drain cock open hot tap on bath is best then open gate valve this will clear your air lock

If you have had a slow flow for months might be worth removing immersion heater and looking in bottom of cylinder to make sure not scaled up ?

these other methods described will also work but will not last as long as the method i use hope this helps you
good luck

charlie

Hi Charlie, thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate the help. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a drain cock on the cylinder. We replaced it ourselves about 2-3 years ago and everything has been fine until we replaced some taps a few months ago. It's one of those with a kinda polystyrene jacket built in. That's why I was querying if you could drain it by removing the heater element? I could do this quite easily. Could you advise if this would have the same effect? Otherwise I'm completely happy with your explanation, I think it will work! Dying to crack on! Once again thanks for your help.
Cheers
Val

Where the water goes into the cylinder at the bottom there should be a drain cock on this pipework somewhere near the bottom. It may be round the back of the cylinder so you will have to have a good look.

There is no other way of draining it apart from removing the immersion element slowly with lots of towels to mop up the water, then sucking the water out of the cylinder with a hose.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks WHPES and Charlie. This is a brilliant forum, thanks to both of you! I couldn't find a drain cock and yes, removed the immersion element and siphoned. Regretably, still no joy but it made me sure it must be some blockage. Emptied the header tank and insertred drain cleaner rod. Found an ancient and hidden gate valve up towards the loft (well before my time) have removed this and it's problem solved!!
Morale: if it's not an airlock there's summat in the way!!

Cheers WHPES and Charlie for taking the time. If I could buy you a pint I would!

Val

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to curing an airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock