Discuss condensation on cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauls

got a toilet that gets a lot of condensation on the cistern and it suffers quite bad from it question is what is the cause of the problem and how can i cure it.

Thinking out loud here but I wonder if packing loft insulation round the outside of the hideaway cistern would work?

May be it would keep the warm air from getting to the cold cistern sides, you would need to pack it tight and then check to see it works.

If the insulation acts like a sponge then remove straight away and go back to the drawing board.

Thanks Phil, I will give it a try but it's pretty darned cold inside the housing anyway when the melamine top is in place. Very bad design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course one way which would definatly work but at a lot of hassle and probably over the top would be to install a thermstatic mixing valve under the bath or boxed in somewhere and have it turned right down so the water is just 'aired'.

You could pipe it up in parrallel with lever valves so you could just use it in winter and have a normal cold fill in summer.

Toolstation > Heating > Central Heating > Thermostatic Mixing Valves

Thanks Phil, you're a genius. Would rather this way even though hassle, at least a clear conscience with new owners.

Many thanks.

Thinking about this method it probably wont work with a combi as you have to run off a certain amount of water before you get hot and it will only start filling with warm water when its almost full. :mad:

Can anyone help with really bad condensation (rotten floor boards now) on 'hideaway' 'plastic cistern housed in white melamine vanity unit? Cistern is fixed to outer wall with mains feed. Even when melamine lid is left off and open window, condensation persists. The cistern is not big enough to enable lining also very difficult to get to. Combi boiler too. Now at wit's end as house for sale due to terminal illness. Plumber lost for answer. Many thanks in advance.

terminal illness? plumber lost for answer?
can you elaborate? i deal a lot with older , traditionally built houses and may be able to advise.

Sadly, all true.
It is a bungalow, 35 yrs old, brick built. The bathroom, on the left hand wall has a rad (this wall backs on to kitchen) then on outside wall is, from left hand corner, the toilet, laundry pull-out with drawers above, then basin with cupboard below. This is all built-in in white melamine. Then, dwarf wall and bath running along right hand wall (backing on to bedroom). Just wish there was a way to put some warmth into the 'hideaway' cistern. Can't understand having so much condensation as the air inside the cistern housing is very cold when the melamine lid is removed. It's not as though the warmth from the room is reaching it. The suite is only 2 yrs old and when the problem reared its head last winter the plumber said, 'faulty cistern, needs renewing'. This was done and now the same problem, so it wasn't a faulty cistern after all. Wit's end. Thanks for any answer you can think of.

Faulty cistern? How did your 'plumber' come to that conclusion?

There are two kinds of plumbers these days, theres the kind that know what they're talking about and the kind that don't.

Faulty cistern? Oh, that was the reason given by not one, but two separate plumbers because of the amount of water. When I agreed to a replacement cistern with the second guy, I asked him, having trawled the internet, and he was dismantling the loo, 'could this be condensation?' What? 'Never heard of that'. And these two people are in their mid forties, not apprentices. So there we are and where are we! Agreed, plumbers and plumbers. Seems like it's a lottery.

It never ceases to amaze me the incompetance of some tradesmen, I've only got a couple of years experience but even I know at this time of year mains fed cisterns develop condensation and this needs to be ruled out before cisterns are swapped.

We have a tiled bathroom floor (black tiles) and the cistern is streaming, so much so that there's is a puddle on the floor!

Maybe I should take the toilet back. :p

Pompeii is it feasible to drill (with hole saw) a couple of holes in the foot panel/plinth of the built in section in order to get a bit of domestic warmed air through the unit??

You could cover them with little breather grills (buy the grills first so you get the right size hole saw). If it can be done do as many as you can, even if it doesn't prevent condensation, it will help to dry out the boards.

Good luck.

H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to condensation on cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock