Search the forum,

Discuss compartment ventilation. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackcatgas

Iam installing a Worcester Bosch 15 RI boiler tomorow, the Ri requires ventilation for cooling if the clearences from the sides of the cabinet etc are less than 400mm (its in the MI!) 125cm2 vents are required hi and low level, there is no top and no bottom on the cabinet, will these do as the high and low level vents?, Ive been through my gas books and cant find a definate answer.

Iam installing a Worcester Bosch 15 RI boiler tomorow, the Ri requires ventilation for cooling if the clearences from the sides of the cabinet etc are less than 400mm (its in the MI!) 125cm2 vents are required hi and low level, there is no top and no bottom on the cabinet, will these do as the high and low level vents?, Ive been through my gas books and cant find a definate answer.

mmmm. odd one, the vents should have a maximum and minimum split so they dont get blocked so i would probably say no. could you not just cover the top and bottom of the cabinet with baording and cut in the correct size of vent?

fuzzy

yes fitting these top and bottom would supply ample ventilation for cooling and would comply with manufactors instructions and gisur,or fit a louvre door

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure on those dimensions thats a 12inch clearance each side??
re read it yes 200mm each side clearance and you dont need a vent

mmmm. odd one, the vents should have a maximum and minimum split so they dont get blocked so i would probably say no. could you not just cover the top and bottom of the cabinet with baording and cut in the correct size of vent?

fuzzy
This is it, why cover up the top and bottom holes which are aprox 600x 450mm then put in vents which are 150mmx150mm a fraction of the size of the holes?.

thats right thats one of the reasons i dont fit worcesters
LOL! Mark!, I remember you saying!, the custard had been out and bought this himself.

yes fitting these top and bottom would supply ample ventilation for cooling and would comply with manufactors instructions and gisur,or fit a louvre door
Sorry mark I meant the openings top and bottom, I just cant see the point in fitting 2 125cm2 vents top and bottom of the door when there is aprox 2700 cm2 "vents" top and bottom of the cuboard if you see what I mean, I realise the importance of the ventilation for cooling.
I cant find any definate answers in the gas book, for the sake of it Il just add 2x staduim 125cm2 vents into the side of the cuboard tommorow to cover my back.
There was a Potterton Netaheat thats been in there with 50mm each side clearence, and they must get hot!.

This is it, why cover up the top and bottom holes which are aprox 600x 450mm then put in vents which are 150mmx150mm a fraction of the size of the holes?.

LOL! Mark!, I remember you saying!, the custard had been out and bought this himself.

Sorry mark I meant the openings top and bottom, I just cant see the point in fitting 2 125cm2 vents top and bottom of the door when there is aprox 2700 cm2 "vents" top and bottom of the cuboard if you see what I mean, I realise the importance of the ventilation for cooling.
I cant find any definate answers in the gas book, for the sake of it Il just add 2x staduim 125cm2 vents into the side of the cuboard tommorow to cover my back.
There was a Potterton Netaheat thats been in there with 50mm each side clearence, and they must get hot!.

A vent apperture shouldnt be bigger than 10mm or smaller than 5mm for 1 direction. It also will need a permanent sign saying DO NOT BLOCK THIS VENT. So giving this a second thought I dont see how the gap top and bottom even if larger than required ventilation can be sued as the ventilation. Sounds a bit daft i know but i wouldnt leave it as such

Well firstly if you are fitting in a wall unit space with no bottom or top,just a door on the front, you are not fitting in a compartment or cupboard anyway so the vent requirement does not apply anyway and the top and bottom open spaces are plenty for any cooling purposes
I would add that although many boilers now do not need ventilation for cooling,I always put some in,ie if you were fitting a boiler in a wall unit that required no ventilation,I would cut out a strip and put a small vent top and bottom of unit,it costs pennies,takes about 15mins and electronics can last alot longer,think the only reason manufactorers say no ventilation required is so they can profit from spare parts sales at later dates but my customers are regulars and I want them to stay that way;)

Well firstly if you are fitting in a wall unit space with no bottom or top,just a door on the front, you are not fitting in a compartment or cupboard anyway so the vent requirement does not apply anyway and the top and bottom open spaces are plenty for any cooling purposes
I would add that although many boilers now do not need ventilation for cooling,I always put some in,ie if you were fitting a boiler in a wall unit that required no ventilation,I would cut out a strip and put a small vent top and bottom of unit,it costs pennies,takes about 15mins and electronics can last alot longer,think the only reason manufactorers say no ventilation required is so they can profit from spare parts sales at later dates but my customers are regulars and I want them to stay that way;)
Cheers Puddle!:):):).

agree with all you just said puddle but do you think the fact worcesters [like some others]have no internal combustion door may be part of the reason they need ventilation as in theory they run hotter?

agree with all you just said puddle but do you think the fact worcesters [like some others]have no internal combustion door may be part of the reason they need ventilation as in theory they run hotter?

Well now with modulation and thermistors on flow and return boiler pipework the boilers tend to run at a lower temp over a period,think the reason for ventilation as far as the manufacturer is concerned,is mainly to allow the use of more plastics and other cheap manufacturing products

Well now with modulation and thermistors on flow and return boiler pipework the boilers tend to run at a lower temp over a period,think the reason for ventilation as far as the manufacturer is concerned,is mainly to allow the use of more plastics and other cheap manufacturing products
i wonder how many of us would have noticed the requirment for vents it so unusu7al on a modern boiler
as said its not in a compartment its actually hanging between two units with a door in front so id say no need to vent
not so relevent now but my confusion was always whats a compartment and whats a room corgi inspctor told me if you can get in with it its a room

i wonder how many of us would have noticed the requirment for vents it so unusu7al on a modern boiler
as said its not in a compartment its actually hanging between two units with a door in front so id say no need to vent
not so relevent now but my confusion was always whats a compartment and whats a room corgi inspctor told me if you can get in with it its a room

when asked for a definition of a room and compartment, i say you "use" a room and therefore go in and out of it regularly, but a compartment containing a boiler may never have the door opened from 1 service to the next ( i appreciate that a boiler can be in a spare room and never visited but hey ho i never said my opinion wasn't flawed) also i kinda remember a rule of thumb figure of under 5m3 was a compartment, but sometimes i remember strange things or make them up as i go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to compartment ventilation. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock