Discuss Cold Rad on an AGA cooker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bathroom rad is fed by the water from the AGA.
The system is indirect feed to the hot water cylinder from the AGA and return.
A pipe from the top of the hot water cylinder feed pipe goes into the loft and to the expansion tank.
About 2 feet from the expansion tank is a T connection and the feed for the rad is taken from here.
The pipe goes accross the loft and drops into the bathroom to feed the rad.
The rad return pipe goes round the bathroom wall and drops into the kitchen via the utility room.

In early August the AGA service engineer shut the AGA off to clean the burner.
A week later the rad went cold.
I have removed the rad and opened the return valve to check for flow and it is good, nice laminar flow.
The feed to the rad oscillates between gurgling and spluttering for 15 -30 secionds and then good laminar flow for 15 seconds, about a litre of water in that time, the spluttering.
And during that time the pipe heats up.

The expansion tank has a good 3" of head above the outflow pipe.

The AGA was turned down over the summer which may have meant there was not much water in the pipe to the expansion tank. This may have led to air being drawn into the expansion tank pipe? I am not sure if this is the cause. But after the AGA was turned up there has been no difference.

The pipes are thirty years old and it is a limestone area, I have changed all the valves in the place except the utility room taps in the past two years.

Any ideas folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Rad on an AGA cooker in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock