Discuss Catchment spaces volumes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
When you are checking the catchment space for fires, how do you convert the volume in mm to decimetres? My viper does not seem to mention it. Or if there is 75mm or 250mm from the bottom of the flue spigot, do you still need to work out how many decimtres it is?

Cheers fellers

1 Decimeter cubed = 1,000,000 mm cubed or 1,000 cm cubed .. 100x100x100.

Regards the distance from the flue spigot .... there is still a minimum void required below the spigot .. 250mm & 0.012m cu, 12 Litres, 12 decimeters minimum or 75mm & 0.002m cu, 2 litres, 2 decimeters minimum :) That's what my book says anyhoo's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Convert.exe
Try this for all your conversions its a lot easier to understand than all them 0000's lol

When you are checking the catchment space for fires, how do you convert the volume in mm to decimetres? My viper does not seem to mention it. Or if there is 75mm or 250mm from the bottom of the flue spigot, do you still need to work out how many decimtres it is?

Cheers fellers

TBH decimeteres is only ever mentioned in training notes and isnt used anywhere else, when fitting/checking a fire the MI gives minimum dimensions, so far easier to check those than convert

TBH decimeteres is only ever mentioned in training notes and isnt used anywhere else, when fitting/checking a fire the MI gives minimum dimensions, so far easier to check those than convert
I do not recall even decimeters been mentioned during my ACS. Always used the dimensions.

I had to look in the bpec file from last year to get the info! I just remember a decimetre being a tenth of a meter and did the maths :) I think that one of the best traits to have as a gas engineer is to know where to go if you're not sure and to know your limitations! I have a phone book full of manufacturers tech help lines and a network of colleagues who i can turn to when I'm not sure.

oh ok guys, so in my assessment when they ask me to check the catchment, as long as its either 75mm masonry with new or previously used for gas appliance and lined or 250mm unlined or with old solid fuel appliance.

Thanks for all the help.

Also, in the practical do they ask you to calculate a purge volume for u16 metre

oh ok guys, so in my assessment when they ask me to check the catchment, as long as its either 75mm masonry with new or previously used for gas appliance and lined or 250mm unlined or with old solid fuel appliance.

Thanks for all the help.

Also, in the practical do they ask you to calculate a purge volume for u16 metre

purge calculations are done in the practical so it depends what the meter is, you deffo do various purge questions but the info is taken from the tables in your notes

I see. Surely i cant take my notes into the assessment centre with me. Or can i? I can just look in my viper book then i guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Catchment spaces volumes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Thanks anyone for reading Looking for peoples views of best setup, location and any points to consider that I don’t mention please 2000 built...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, newly qualified gas engineer and have been requested to do gas safety inspection but slightly unclear how far you got with the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, This may be a slightly lengthy one, but i'm having a seriously rough time with a bad leak in the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock