Discuss Box Spanner Too Short To Use On Pillar Tap On Old Sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the 50 year old pillar taps on a kitchen sink. I reckon the back nuts will be very tight and only a box spanner will do. However, the double-ended tap back nut spanner I have isn't long enough. Because of the bowl of the sink, if I put the box spanner up behind the bowl onto back nut, I can't get the tommy bar to turn as it's in between the sink's bowl and the wall.

So I need to put some kind of extension on the 3/4"end, so that it coms down below the level of the bowl to enable me to turn it to undo back nut. Can anyone suggest an extension to fit on 3/4" end of spanner, or another way of doing this?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
you need a basin spanner really, to get the length down below the bowl old pillar taps usually come out easily enough i would try moving them firts with some big grips on the tap body above the sink if theey are really old they may have square holes and keyways on the taps so no more than an eighth of a turn each way to break the seal lots of wiggling till they're loose
sometimes they will have top hat washer under neath if they are plastic they will probably break up and allow you to lift the taps and cut them of

Last edited:
I have a big socket set on the van,place the socket on the end of your box spanner extend to the length you need with the extensions in the socket set then use your t bar or Ratchet.

Armeg prob won't fit. Had loads of Yorkshire 3/4 nuts that upset me recently ( loads = 4 in three months)

I had an issue with a cast bath taps literally welded in ( fitted by Noah i think!) couldn't turn when on the tap so I got an impact socket and extension for my impact driver and went gentle and they came off fine.....I think without it I'd still be there now!

Been a bit delayed with this job - thanks for replies.

Just to confirm, if I get a second box spanner (1/2" x 3/4"), can fit the small 1/2" end of one box spanner into the 3/4" end of the other to make one long extended spanner?

Been a bit delayed with this job - thanks for replies.

Just to confirm, if I get a second box spanner (1/2" x 3/4"), can fit the small 1/2" end of one box spanner into the 3/4" end of the other to make one long extended spanner?
should fit,take yours and try it on the new one in the merchants first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Box Spanner Too Short To Use On Pillar Tap On Old Sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Have a sink basin tap photo attached and need to replace the heads as behind they have cracked. Any idea where I can get replacement tap head...
Replies
Views
P
quality product wanted, my 1/4 turn kitchen sink tap inserts need replacing and i am looking for ones with a spindle gland nut, rather than a...
Replies
Views
Pete Williams
P
I’m looking to get some advice on how to remove a stubborn kitchen tap. The sink is ceramic and I’m very reluctant to take a grinder or any...
Replies
Views
Hi guys first post. I am in the process of rejuvenating a double wash sink. It was needing the waste below looked at for a washing machine and...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
Back