Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler shutdown in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backboiler

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys, hope some bright person on here can shed some light on the cause of this problem.
I did a gas safe check on a Ravenheat Primary AAA on Wednesday and had to replace the gas valve yesterday due to it passing on lockout. As usual, before working on an appliance I checked the basic operation to ensure it fired up on demand etc. System is Y plan open vented. On completion of replacing the gas valve I switched on CH and HW demand and the boiler ran perfectly. After half an hour I switched off CH demand but left the HW demand on. After 10 minutes the boiler suddenly shut off. The kind of shut off that sounds wrong. The lock-out light did not illuminate. According to MI's this warning lamp should light on flame failure or overheat. I know the bulb works in the lockout warning lamp as it illuminated on flame failure while re-checking safety device. Before doing anything else I re-energised demand for CH but the boiler was dead. Still with demand for CH only I switched the boiler's main switch off and then back on and it fired up. I switched on the demand for HW but within 30 seconds the boiler stopped again. Reset again and tried on CH only and it ran normally. After half an hour I switch demand for HW and it stopped again! I'm thinking flow problem on DHW; either restriction in primary pipes, possibly the 3 port valve is not opening fully on HW demand only, or maybe faulty Overheat stat (but why doesn't the lamp illuminate?) I don't know if it is anything to do with the way the pump is wired as the boiler needs pump over-run. The Mi's shows the pump wired directly back to a dedicated pump connection on the boiler when using Y plan. The pump does over-run but this appears to be taken care of in the control centre.
Can anyone help solve the problem please?
wiring.JPG

i take it this has only happend on finding that the g/valve was passing? or was this fault apparent before?

i take it this has only happend on finding that the g/valve was passing? or was this fault apparent before?
Tenant is a kid of 19 years old who tells me it didn't do it before I replaced the gas valve but you never know. There is nothing you can do to cause this fault by replacing a gas valve. I set the max and min gas pressures spot on.

Last edited:
if you think its the 3 port valve try removing the head and manualy moving also to eliminate any electric faults remove sw live and put a constant live to boiler sw live to try it

ant

3 port is what id be looking at as already said above, programmer is also an option, as per your diagram back boiler does the programmer have a heating only option??

if you think its the 3 port valve try removing the head and manualy moving also to eliminate any electric faults remove sw live and put a constant live to boiler sw live to try it

ant
Thank you Ant. It's a metal Honeywell valve so I don't think you can remove the head can you? I will move the lever over manually and will try the constant live though. I will have to make sure there is a demand for heating and/or hot water for the pump to run though.

3 port is what id be looking at as already said above, programmer is also an option, as per your diagram back boiler does the programmer have a heating only option??
Yes, it has a three port mid position valve mate

should be able to remove the head remove the cover and then the 2 corner screws be careful some older ones did not have removable heads

ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler shutdown in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
I have a very strange issue with my BAXI 105e DHW. if i turn on the hot tap the pump starts and demand for DHW is shown, after a some seconds it will show an error, 60 degree, pump or flow. Well switch the tap off wait maybe fifteen seconds turn tap on and low and behold hot water. If after a...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Customer complained of hot water tank getting hot when no demand Y plan system couldn't see any issues so I watched it Timer set to CH only, HW off Thermostat turned to on Heating comes on as normal, valve moved to CH position After around 20 minutes the 3 way valve moves to mid point and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock