Search the forum,

Discuss Best make for a pipe bender in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robbo198787

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me and tell me what's the best make to buy for a pipe bender

the best hand bender is the old design record one, (cranked arm) i got one early this year off ebay for ÂŁ16 used once, had been sat in a shed for over 15 years in its original box. most modern benders are made abroad and are poor quality even the record/hilmor one.

Best bet is scour ebay for a year or two till you find a bargin like me or get a life and get the one linked above :)

bend it now is a company in sheffield that refurbish hilmor, when I say refurbish they are brand spankers cheep too

cheers for the link malcky, the pipe benders look good and are agood price

Robbo, go into a PTS, order the NTTB1522. They are made by Bend it now for Nerrad Tools, red in colour but as I say, made by BIN in Sheffield.
I have a set, absolutely perfect.

Forge pipe benders from Screwfix are completely cr*p!! As said , Hilmor are the best from the ones Ive used

See the mini pipe benders in screwfix. 3 of them I think, all made in the same factory! I have the cheap ones, Rothenberger want twice as much for red paint. I guess they're all at it. A mate got a cheap set of normal benders, was no angle markers and need to be as strong as a bear to pull round the 22mm

I have a set of ancient cranked arm record ones. Still work fine. Never use them.

Also have a set of those blue ones (brand new) that they sell at Toolstation. They work fine too.

I bought a load of tools from one of the guys on this forum, who was jacking it in. Are they worth anything second hand? I've been keeping them incase I ever lose/break my trusty Hilmors. I say trusty, they ripple 22 at the moment, but I will get round to sorting that.

the rothenberg pipe benders are rubbish. i was on a site and had another plumber with me. we went in one van and he forgot his pipe bender. no biggie got the rothenberg one. must of been out of the van 5 mins when the joiner comments "ooo dont you guys mean business with your rothenberger bender, you get paid to much" i laughed pretty hard. anyway went to lunch both benders where left together come back and the rothenberger bender had been nicked. they left the hilmor

I've had my Rothenberger bender for years but keep threatening to buy a Hilmor because THE HILMOR ONE DOESN'T DAMAGE THE PIPE!

The problem I've noticed with my Rothenberger is that it leaves a kink in the pipe and you're knackered if you want to cut it close to the bend because it makes it impossible to get a fitting on. I tried filing down the snot on the hookstop (had to google that) which I thought was causing the deformation but it still does it. I think Rothenberger tools are great, got a set of adjustables and water pump pliers among a few other things, but their pipe bender has always been a pain.

Hilmor here I come! Been saying that for years.

Can't go wrong with a Hilmor.

When this one gives up the ghost i'll go for the bend it now hilmor.

Benders are a very personal thing- I wouldnt swap my Hilmors for anything. Had a pair of Record benders when I was an apprentice, never liked them. With regard to the Rotherberger ones, Ive only ever heard bag things about them, noone I know has gotten on with them. Plus they have silly wafer thin bending guides

All portable hand benders will ripple 22mm from time to time after a while, evem hilmors. A combination of wear and garbage pipe.

If you seriously want perfect bends get a stand bender, any make or brand. You can even bend thinwall (red stripe) with one if you know how :wink:

A few years back B&Q was selling off 4 x hilmor benders for ÂŁ5.00 each, i had the four sets,only reason they was that price was because ppl had pinched the guids off them..still got em.:smiley2:

A few years back B&Q was selling off 4 x hilmor benders for ÂŁ5.00 each, i had the four sets,only reason they was that price was because ppl had pinched the guids off them..still got em.:smiley2:

Got what the guides or the benders!? LOL

I have a floor standing hilmor and a set of hilmor hand benders
And use floor standing ones 95% of time
Old record floor standing benders are easiest to learn on but I do prefer the hilmors

Not used a floor standing bender for years. I will buy a set though. Keeping my eyes peeled for a set on ebay. I've watched some go really cheap, but they've been miles away, and I'm too lazy to spend hours going to collect a bargain.

They are better, and it's nice to be able to bend 28mm.

I honestly find it hard to use the hand benders as I always use the floor standing I'd lift the big bender out the van before the hand ones to be honest I hate the hand benders lol

Don't blame you to be honest. If you've got room and have it on board, why not use it. Much better bends, and more accurate.

Yes mate and can bend up to 35mm
Not that I like bending 35mm copper lol

Nice to have the option though. I saw a 28mm spring in a merchants once. Who on earth could use that!?

Nice to have the option though. I saw a 28mm spring in a merchants once. Who on earth could use that!?

I used to use a spring to bend 28 before I had the stand bender. Forgot to anneal the pipe one day and instead of bending it I ripped it in half.

Who needs the gym....clearly me!!

I wouldn't like to try and wrestle a ÂŁ20 note out of your hands Mike!! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best make for a pipe bender in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock