Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone remove the film on baths before tiling? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

....I don't, I leave it on to protect the bath from grout, adhesive, scratches etc but slightly peel back the edges at the tiled wall (cover with masking tape when tiling) and round the taps and waste to allow them to be sealed to the bath not the film. I've heard that not removing the film before installation can invalidate the guarantee?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they mean what you do. Removing the film from where you are tiling

I always remove the film around the edge first too

Two thoughts on this - mine and my mate's.

I say, remove edges and keep on until finished as you might drop something in the bath and scratch it.

He says remove it as soon as possible so if there's a scratch or damage you can exchange it before you install it.

No idea who's right but on my jobs it stays and on his jobs it's removed.

You are suppost to remove it all and inspect before fitting as any faults found after they won't pay to remove and refit bath.

Last year had a call from my brother who was installing a new bathroom at home (commercial pipefitter/welder) "can you come and look at my new bath I'm not happy with the finish"
Went and looked and said "you need to remove the protective film"
Oh! I never had to on the last bathroom?
Had a look outside and the old bath still had its protective film in place!

i carefully pull the film back to check the bath then put it back on and cover in dust sheets.

You are suppost to remove it all and inspect before fitting as any faults found after they won't pay to remove and refit bath.

Last year had a call from my brother who was installing a new bathroom at home (commercial pipefitter/welder) "can you come and look at my new bath I'm not happy with the finish"
Went and looked and said "you need to remove the protective film"
Oh! I never had to on the last bathroom?

is fuzzy your brother,or does your brother have blonde hair and no idea what a 710 is?

I've removed a bath with it's film in place (and a wc cistern).

Hmm ... this removal and inspection is making me think more. Maybe I'll have to change my ways - could end in tears if I do come across a scratched bath or shower tray after it's fitted.

I leave it on except edges to walls, taps, waste and overflow. Have a blanket for the bottom. If there's a slight mark once I take the film off I have one of them nail files with 6 grades of sandpaper, use all 6 and it polishes away. Available from boots and all leading pharmacies and pound shops :)

A local manufacturer supplies the bath without any film, labels or anything. It just comes in a large cardboard box, which is actually good, as bath is how it left factory & easy to inspect. As long as you are careful fitting it, but my fear is tilers scratching it. I leave film on bath, except edges & waste + tap holes, & remove it when finishing, then put covers over bath for tilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone remove the film on baths before tiling? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock