Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone clued up on mechanics? Peugeot Boxer van question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Got a question about the belt on peugeot boxer. It's the one that goes around the alternator etc. If anyone knows what i'm talking about??

Thanks

I know what your talking about, whats wrong with it. gasman is our resident vehicle guru as he has owned and repair loads of his own carp motors over the years he could earn a living as a mechanic

It's a company van. had a bit of work done on it so i didn't have it for 3 weeks. Finally got it back Thursday, used it as normal Thursday and Friday as normal.

Friday night I parked it up by mine and went to take it up my garage for a sort out on the weekend and it wouldn't start. Went and got a booster pack from Halfords and that would start it but as soon as it was disconnected it would cut out.

Needs a new ignition and I think a new alternator. Boss turned up today and asked how long it's been since me and another one of the lads changed this belt. I said 6 months easily, he reckons it was put on wrong and it's been going round the wrong way and that's what has knackered it. I don't see how that's happened or if it's possible. and if it is possible how has it taken 6 months to cause any problems?.

It's a company van. had a bit of work done on it so i didn't have it for 3 weeks. Finally got it back Thursday, used it as normal Thursday and Friday as normal.

Friday night I parked it up by mine and went to take it up my garage for a sort out on the weekend and it wouldn't start. Went and got a booster pack from Halfords and that would start it but as soon as it was disconnected it would cut out.

Needs a new ignition and I think a new alternator. Boss turned up today and asked how long it's been since me and another one of the lads changed this belt. I said 6 months easily, he reckons it was put on wrong and it's been going round the wrong way and that's what has knackered it. I don't see how that's happened or if it's possible. and if it is possible how has it taken 6 months to cause any problems?.

I wouldnt worry, boss should have had a mechanic change it (not having a go at your mechanicing skills :) ).

If its a v groove belt then it only goes on one way. Alternators goosed, it happens.

A bit too technical! :)

With the bonnet up, looking down inside it's the belt on the left, it's clear to see.

A flat belt is exactly that, bit like an elastic band. V groove is flat on the outside and like this vvvvvvvvvvv on the inside.

If the belt was fitted incorrectly and the battery wasn't charging, it wouldn't take six months for the battery to go flat would it.

surely what ever way the belt is put on, what ever is driving it is going to go the same direction regardless. I'm fairly confident if the belt had been put on wrong something would have packed up well before 6 months.

I don't think we could have put it on wrong and the van continue to function fine for 6 months.

A flat belt is exactly that, bit like an elastic band. V groove is flat on the outside and like this vvvvvvvvvvv on the inside.

To be honest I can't even remember what type it was. I know we struggled to get it on and I don't think the van would have been running this long if it had been done wrong.

If the belt was fitted incorrectly and the battery wasn't charging, it wouldn't take six months for the battery to go flat would it.

Exactly. Easy to say it's our fault though. The first thing I said to him today was "how's it lasted this long then?"

And i wasn't being argumentative.

i had the fiat ducatto 04 which is the same van with the peugeot engine which is pretty much bullet proof when looked after.

problems i have had similar to yours.

charging wire that connects to the alternator broke small white needs re-connecting that stop battery charging up and engine conks out.
earth strap from engine block to the chasis corroded. that plays up with the starter and battery.

never had a problem with the belt.

boss should be having a mechanic sort this not a plumber/heating engineer

Last edited by a moderator:

your boss is full of crap,the hdi lump uses a serpentine belt with ribs,if you put it on wrong it would be off pretty quick

To be honest I can't even remember what type it was. I know we struggled to get it on and I don't think the van would have been running this long if it had been done wrong.

My old citroen relay was a v groove belt.

A belt fitted with too much tension could damage the alternator but 6 months? Dunno.

It surely would have come off/snapped by now. It's at least 6 months could be 8.

Ash it's his van his problem. The guys taking the ****. Does it say in your contract of employment that you are responsible for the engine maintenance of the van?! Surely not.

Ash it's his van his problem. The guys taking the ****. Does it say in your contract of employment that you are responsible for the engine maintenance of the van?! Surely not.

I don't have a contract, working on SE basis but it's a company van. I am allowed to use it for my own use so probably expected to help maintain it. But i think it's BS that this belt was done wrong, The van would have packed up by now.

I don't have a contract, working on SE basis but it's a company van. I am allowed to use it for my own use so probably expected to help maintain it. But i think it's BS that this belt was done wrong, The van would have packed up by now.

ahhh you're self employed..... Get ya wallet out mate!

your boss is trying to get you to pay,its his van,his problem

ahhh you're self employed..... Get ya wallet out mate!

walletmoths2_8329.jpg

ash its your bosses van its his problem. he's not exactly paying you top whack.
tell the tight erse to get it sorted.

also getting oil all over the alternator can kill it.
i had an oil leak on the rocker cover and found out the hard through being lazy and not sorting it.

So has the belt snapped?

If not and its not slipping then as advised check the lead plug and wires.

You should be getting 11-14v from it.

also what's the amperage on the battery like think the pes needs 800amp to crank I've got a spare 12v 1000amp tug boat battery if you want to give that ago to do your testing.

if belt is slipping then just loosen the tensioner bolt pull her tight and fix the tension bolt ensure its not too tight pressing with your thumb on the belt you should get a bit of travel maybe 10mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone clued up on mechanics? Peugeot Boxer van question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock