Discuss Alpha CD18R problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hitch

I'm desperate for help and advice

I have a Alpha CD18R....
4 weeks ago (01/11/10) the boiler stopped working and A&B lights were flashing simultaneously. An engineer visited and said we needed a new PCB.
The PCB was changed but the lights still flashed; (note: the PCB board was a different design to the one removed but the engineer rang the manufacturer and was assured that this wasn't a problem and was the correct one for the boiler)

another engineer visited and changed the Fan.
Although the lights stopped flashing, the central heating is still not coming on.
Following the operational sequence in the instructions manual Turn On>(Y)Turn thermostat to max>(Y)pump runs and fan runs>(Y)spark at ignition electrodes for 10 second>(Y)Burner lights>(Y)Burner output modulates until set temp is reached>(Y)Burner goes out>(Y)fan stops after 50secs>(Y)pump continues to run until temp reduces to set temp>(Y).... it says that the operation should be successful; however we are still getting no heating or hot water. the boiler seems to think its got to temp and turns itself off again. then 5 minutes later thinks it needs to turn itself on again! then off again! then on again! but never stays on long enough to actually heat anything

Several engineers have been out... trying several things
a new primary flow sensor
a new primary return temperature sensor
a new pump
cleaned electrodes
checked all pressures
checked and cleaned all filters
checked and cleaned condense drain
checked flue
(note: one engineer noted that the water in the system was a bit dirty and could do with flushing. another engineer noted that the flame on the burner doesn't seem very strong)

but still no joy. The boiler goes through the motions turning itself on then turns off for 5 minutes before going through the whole process again.

At the moment having problems with communication between the insurance company and the manufacturers :)confused:) and wonder if anyone else out there might be able to help or make other suggestions to try in the mean time!

4 weeks in this cold with a 12month old baby in the house is not at all any fun!

Also, should i turn the boiler off completely or let it keep going through the motions??!!!

As the temp has now dropped to -2 outside is there any worries of our pipes freezing?! anything i can do to avoid this!

any help/ideas/advice gratefully recieved!

is it running and locking out?ie lighting for a few seconds and crashing?

electrode gap needs to be checked i am not 100% familiar with your boiler but some brands have had the detection electrode bend over under heat and cause flame failure symptoms are running and crashing for 5 to 10 minute intervals this would be very suspect if alpha use the gionnini heat exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alpha CD18R problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at...
Replies
Views
The problem is, my ideal boiler logic heat h15 keeps on burning (igniting flame icon on) all the time, all day long, regardless of the programmed...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello. I wonder if someone can help. We have noticed 2 issues in our house over the last couple of weeks . We have a Glow Worm Ultracom 24cxi...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an...
Replies
Views
Back