Discuss Air Lock - Best Practice/Prevention ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsr

Gas Engineer
Hello All

I'm looking for some tips on dealing with air locks after a radiator change on a fully pumped vented hw/open ch system.

Are there any good ways to prevent/minimise this??

How best to deal with an air lock on such a system??

Thanks in advance

Cheers
RSR

Hi. You can stick a bung in the cold and vent for mechanical work, but soldering joints can be difficult. Good luck

Ye defo bung the cold feed & open vent if you can.

Or don't change the rad valves when replacing a rad, just isolate the valves at each side, drain the rad, replace rad, redo fittings to new rad, open valves and vent. This should prevent an airlock.

Last resort, drain the system but u obviously run the risk of airlock. I had a nitemare last Friday with an open vented combi. I've got a thread titled 'nitemare airlock' down the ch page somewhere, there's quite a few ways to cure airlocks in there.

unfortunately have to change rad valves.......

seen your thread now - many thanks

cheers

unfortunately have to change rad valves.......

seen your thread now - many thanks

cheers

Defo bung it then, buy 'plumbers mate bungs' or 'plumbers friend rad kit' from plumb centre.

Best way to do it,

make sure heating circuit is switched off electrical wise, bung cold feed&open vent, isolate rad valves, drain rad, remove rad, open one valve at a time and drain any excess water, replace valve, repeat on other side, replace rad, redo fittings, remove bungs and vent rad.

Just watched that it's not a primatic cylinder, you can't bung this setup, full drain down is reqd but they are generaly easier to refill

Hello All

I'm looking for some tips on dealing with air locks after a radiator change on a fully pumped vented hw/open ch system.

Are there any good ways to prevent/minimise this??

How best to deal with an air lock on such a system??

Thanks in advance

Cheers
RSR
If you don't bung the feed/vent and drained down and airlocked when refilling from gravity, fill from the mains attached to the lowest drain off, forcing the air out as it fills.
You could also try closing all rads down except airlocked circuit forcing the pump to work on the 1 rad
Good Luck

Last edited:
Any rad that gives problems i just turn every other rad off bar the one thats not working and switch on heating and the pump will force the air lock out all works for me and simple:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air Lock - Best Practice/Prevention ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back