Search the forum,

Discuss Adding a towel rail 15ft from boiler? Any issues? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NeilF

We already have one towel rail heated from the hot water circuit. ie: When the boiler is heating the hot water in the tank, the existing towel rail (about 2 ft away) is heated. This works perfectly, so twice a day the towels get a good little heat through.

We're looking to introduce another towel rail in a new shower room which is the other side of the house say about 15ft away. A plumber is due in over the next week or two, but I'd like to be aware of any relevant issues/problems?

Can anyone suggest how straight forward adding another such towel rail is? Or any problems that we might face?

Thanks!

the biggest obstacle to this is that it goes against the building regs as far as efficiency of the system.
it was traditionally done this way, but any new work should comply.

dont use a steel towel rail or youll be renewing it next year. Best advice use an electric towel rail on a timer.

dont use a steel towel rail or youll be renewing it next year. Best advice use an electric towel rail on a timer.

I read that it was piped off the circs. Might be wrong though.

I'd have the towel rails on a separate zone off the heating.

I read that it was piped off the circs. Might be wrong though.

I'd have the towel rails on a separate zone off the heating.
on water circuit, wants snuggley towels in the summer, soft southerners:)

Still think it's old school plumbing with old bathroom rad t'd off the circs.

If anyone can recommend such a setup I'd be interested! I'm surprised electric towel rails don't come with timers basically as standard? Do people really leave them on 24x7? :wacko:

It's this bit that did it for me.

'ie: When the boiler is heating the hot water in the tank, the existing towel rail (about 2 ft away) is heated'

If anyone can recommend such a setup I'd be interested! I'm surprised electric towel rails don't come with timers basically as standard? Do people really leave them on 24x7? :wacko:

Wire it to a fuse spur/timer outside the bathroom.

^^ I suppose that could be tucked away (out of site) in a cupboard the other side of the dividing wall?

Any recommendations for a reliable timer?

Look around and this probably seems the best bet - [DLMURL="http://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-heater-controllers/fst11a-supplymaster-24hr-fused-spur-timeswitch"]SupplyMaster 24 Hour Fused Spur Timeswitch | Timeguard 2012[/DLMURL]

Nice simple time to just turn on/off twice a day. I'll tuck it away in a cupboard on the other side of the wall.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
that's how I read it,
as said fit a separate zone or go electric

Ta... Well from my noddy understanding then, an electric with timer would seem to make the most sense for efficiency and for ease of installation.

Thanks...

Fit towel rail with dual fuel element, so it's on with heating in winter and electric in summer.

Fit a towel rail with a dual fuel element, Add it onto the heating circuit and run the element off its own timeclock.

It will then come on with the rest of your heating and you can time it to come on how you please to warm your towels.

edit; damn I'm slow at typing

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Adding a towel rail 15ft from boiler? Any issues? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a water filled towel rail which has been working for several years. It is now getting very hot and making a noise. Do these loose water over time and need topping up? Could this be the problem or a faulty thermostats or element? Any way to diagnose the problem? Thanks
Replies
Views
asked to specify for very small studio flat, architect has drawn a combi boiler, 2 radiators, heated towel rail and shower, basin, kitchen sink, washing machine. seems overkill to me, in the past i have used electric shower, 15l 3kw Ariston for hot water, and electric panel heaters, but he is...
Replies
Views
C
Hi there We have a heated towel rail in our bathroom - Heller brand (well the switch is anyway). Was installed about 10 years ago. We have on a timer, comes on in the morning and back again in the afternoon, overall works well. However the Heller Switch / controller has been making a...
Replies
Views
E
I recently moved into a new property which has a gas boiler and: (1) A hot water tank - this is controlled by a Hive timer programmer (all good); (2) Wet underfloor system on ground floor - this is controlled by Heatmiser thermostats (all good); and (3) Radiators on first floor and towel...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock