Search the forum,

Discuss Water filled towel rail overheating in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a water filled towel rail which has been working for several years.
It is now getting very hot and making a noise.

Do these loose water over time and need topping up?
Could this be the problem or a faulty thermostats or element?

Any way to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

I have a similar towel rail, not with that fault, but it has lost a bit of water, and that part of the rad at the top with no water is much colder than lower down where the water is present. Also my rad does not make a kettling noise.
I suspect the integral thermostat in your heating element. Normally a straightforward job to change the whole element/thermostat with the rad turned upside-down!
PS is there a separate temperature control that is not part of the element assembly? A photo of that part of the heating element you can see would be helpful.

I have a similar towel rail, not with that fault, but it has lost a bit of water, and that part of the rad at the top with no water is much colder than lower down where the water is present. Also my rad does not make a kettling noise.
I suspect the integral thermostat in your heating element. Normally a straightforward job to change the whole element/thermostat with the rad turned upside-down!
PS is there a separate temperature control that is not part of the element assembly? A photo of that part of the heating element you can see would be helpful.
I have removed the thermostat.
It's a three pin plug in type.

Looked on line and can't see a replacement.

Any idea where I can get one?

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_103443335.jpg
    IMG_20221212_103443335.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221212_102022440.jpg
    IMG_20221212_102022440.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221212_103500308.jpg
    IMG_20221212_103500308.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 8
I have never seen one of those!

But here is one! NAUTI-TH-1 towel rail thermostat | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155292541626
Probably worth getting to try.

But I wonder if the faulty bit might still be in the immersion element still in the radiator?

If the above doesn't fix it, I suggest buying a replacement complete element assembly of your choice, and abandoning all of the original.
E.g. simple element with fixed temperature:
Or element with adjustable temperature:

I have never seen one of those!

But here is one! NAUTI-TH-1 towel rail thermostat | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155292541626
Probably worth getting to try.

But I wonder if the faulty bit might still be in the immersion element still in the radiator?

If the above doesn't fix it, I suggest buying a replacement complete element assembly of your choice, and abandoning all of the original.
E.g. simple element with fixed temperature:
Or element with adjustable temperature:
Appreciate your reply.
I did search eBay but missed that.
Have now purchased that item.
I did measure the element resistance and it checks out.

Will try the thermostat and if not will buy a complete new unit.

Reply to Water filled towel rail overheating in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had no end of trouble recently fitting a heated towel rail. First problem is tightening the fittings so that it is tight in the correct position/orientation for the flow/return pipework, these have o rings for sealing but are not always water tight at the correct position. Also some of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, please could anyone help me with the following issue im having. I will start off with listing the scenario in case it helps. Boiler - Ideal Icos. Property - 4 bed System age - around 16 yrs. I have a problem in my en-suite, whereby i am unable to get the towel rail to heat up - this...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
C
Hi there We have a heated towel rail in our bathroom - Heller brand (well the switch is anyway). Was installed about 10 years ago. We have on a timer, comes on in the morning and back again in the afternoon, overall works well. However the Heller Switch / controller has been making a...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock