Search the forum,

Discuss studio flat heating and hot water in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

asked to specify for very small studio flat, architect has drawn a combi boiler, 2 radiators, heated towel rail and shower, basin, kitchen sink, washing machine. seems overkill to me, in the past i have used electric shower, 15l 3kw Ariston for hot water, and electric panel heaters, but he is concerned about running costs. also they are putting in air conditioning split unit; i suggested using that for heating, but he and customer not keen on relying on it for heating. total floor space 40sq m. Well insulated floor, ceiling and walls. Heat loss around 2.6kw. Ventilation will be heat recovery unit. Any ideas?

Given the option, I’d prefer combi shower. I’d also prefer a wet heating system.

Energy performance certificate rating minimum banding is going to change again. I think band C from 2025 and electric is rated worse than gas.

Electric panel heaters are rated below storage heaters (which are Rubbish), which in turn are rated below gas heating.

Electric hot water is also rated below gas.

Heat recovery from the shower waste gets you a couple of points, so worth planning for this.

So I’d go gas combi, can you do underfloor?

If they’re putting in air con, why not a heat pump dual unit. It can supply the air con/underfloor and hot water with an electric boost?

Thanks, that is interesting, i did wonder if such a system would be suitable. can you point me in right direction of a heat pump dual unit? thanks.

Have a look at Daikin Altherma. The issue you’ll have is likely space. It’s not instantaneous hot water, a tank is needed.

You could do air to air for cooling.
Air to water for heating.
And air to water for hot water with your own spec’d tank to reduce size with an immersion back up.

Reply to studio flat heating and hot water in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock