Search the forum,

Discuss No programmer to control radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

E

Ellsa100

I recently moved into a new property which has a gas boiler and:

(1) A hot water tank - this is controlled by a Hive timer programmer (all good);

(2) Wet underfloor system on ground floor - this is controlled by Heatmiser thermostats (all good); and

(3) Radiators on first floor and towel rails on both ground and first floor and which are connected to my central heating - these are controlled by TRVs but there does not seem to be a central programmer.

The issue I have is that as the radiators/towel rails do not seem to have a central programmer, any of the TRVs may potentially call the boiler 24/7 - expensive - whereas I'd like them to only come on at certain times during the day, e.g. when the boiler is called because of the hot water tank and/or the wet underfloor heating system.

Is this an easy thing to do? How would I go about this?

Thanks

The hive timer should also do the heating

Thanks - but the Hive heater is not connected to the radiators (I've opened up the wiring and it looks like it only is wired to hot water only and there are no other spare wires that would be for the central heating)...not sure how to get that connected?

The hive timer should also do the heating
Thanks

Below is a photo of the backplate to the Hive unit which is in the cupboard where the hot water cylinder is. I'm fairly certain the wiring in the photo is the same as on the previous programmer (Siemens RWB27) which I replaced with the Hive a few months ago. You will see that terminals 2 and 4 of the backplate are blank and I think these are to control the central heating. Also, there is only one valve in the cupboard - see second photo - which I presume is because there is a valve to control the hot water but no valve for the central heating.

Thanks again.

20221113_204325560_iOS.jpg
20221114_094609446_iOS.jpg

You should get an engineer to have a look.
It would be very unlikely that syst is the way you describe.
Could be simple but can't tell with the information you've given.
I assume that you have fitted a single zone hive, if you want to control heating and hot water then you should have bought the 2-zone version.
I suspect hiring an engineer will save you from making any more expensive mistakes.

You should get an engineer to have a look.
It would be very unlikely that syst is the way you describe.
Could be simple but can't tell with the information you've given.
I assume that you have fitted a single zone hive, if you want to control heating and hot water then you should have bought the 2-zone version.
I suspect hiring an engineer will save you from making any more expensive mistakes.
Thanks.
I will get an engineer to have a look.
I bought the 2-zone Hive by the way, but effectively the central heating part of it doesn't do anything. This is because of how the system was before (the old programmer didn't seem to control the central heating either) - the Hive was installed over the wiring connection of the old programmer.

What’s the neutral/blue core back in the back box ?

What’s the neutral/blue core back in the back box ?
Not sure...I think the neutral/blue core (and one of the earths) in the Hive back box is not connected to anything as the box immediately below it also has an unconnected neutral/blue (and earth) which I think is the one in the Hive back box which is not connected to anything. The box underneath the Hive also has an unconnected black wire.

Thoughts?

Is it easy to change the wiring below so that my Hive can also control the central heating in addition to the hot water?

I had the hot water cylinder and Hive professionally installed a few months ago...

20221114_202304102_iOS.jpg
20221114_202314943_iOS.jpg
20221114_202646684_iOS.jpg
20221113_204325560_iOS.jpg

Any pictures of the boiler ?

Pipes to the left and under the boiler please

And any reason why the boiler case isn’t on properly?

Pipes to the left and under the boiler please

And any reason why the boiler case isn’t on properly?
As in put another valve on the pipe where indicated in red (similar to the existing one connected to the pipe that leads to the hot water pipe) or if not there or not just there, where?

Also, what is wrong about the boiler case? I opened the bottom panel to show the buttons/dials/LCD panel, but it is normally closed.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• 20221114_202304102_iOS.jpg
    20221114_202304102_iOS.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Any reason for the dodgy wiring too?
I was wondering if the wiring was a bit weird as there is one neutral wire and one earth that don't appear to be used at all, plus a black wire that one end at least doesn't seem to be connected to anything.

Should I get the installer of the hot water cylinder - who installed a few months ago - back to look at this? They are qualified central heating and boiler installers so if the wiring is poor that is a bit worrying.

Thanks

Last edited:
When you just turn hot water on do any of the rads warm up ?

When you just turn hot water on do any of the rads warm up ?
No, doesn't seem like it.

Think I'll go down the route of installing smart TRVs on each radiator - there are 7 or so - rather than have an engineer fit a new motorised valve to control the central heating.

Still need to get the engineer in who did the hot water cylinder installation to check the wires.

thank you

So there’s a valve somewhere else it would heat up

This needs someone to go through it.
My advice would be to get someone out to look at it.
Would recommend not telling engineer what you want or think it could be, just what's happening, how you want it to work and any recent changes youve made.
After they've checked it out you could go through options with them.

Reply to No programmer to control radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock