Search the forum,

Discuss 15m copper tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leslie50

Need to cut down 15m copper tails, it is a mono tap for a small corner basin, and the tails are too long, as the copper is soft and flexible is it best to use a small hacksaw rather then a pipe cutter.Regards

pipe slices are fine just watch you don't damage the threads that go into the tap, or if you can remove it from tap then cut and put it back in

Manufacturers usually advise not to cut tails although I have with a pipe slice in the past, alternative is to replace with flexi's.

some have rolled ends for strength cutting them will cause the tails to collapse id use flexis

If you need to cut them use a junior hacksaw but best to use flexi's

its also best not to use compression fittings onto the tails, the soft copper can cause problems with olive bite. as others have said flexi's would be best.

I never thought I'd hear a bunch of professional plumbobs recommend flexi's!Whatever happened to real plumbing?And where can I get lead pipe?

I never thought I'd hear a bunch of professional plumbobs recommend flexi's!Whatever happened to real plumbing?And where can I get lead pipe?

Well as most top end taps now come with flexi tails don't see a problem

I had no idea you might not be adsvised to cut or compress onto mono tails. I've done both a hundred times. No probs yet but maybe they're all about to go..............................NOW

Some tails are soft others are the same as table x pipe. The soft stuff you simply can't cut with a pipe slice unless it's a manual one. me I'd use a hacksaw. Of course you can cut them never heard or read anything that says you can't. Any experienced plumber can tell decent tails from flimsy rubbish. It doesn't matter where you get them either I fitted a b&q tap the other week and the tails were solid. As for flexis they are for short course boys and DIYers and are usually rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not had any problems cutting or using compression fittings with them

the copper tails are not that soft, sure you can bend them because of the small diameter copper at the top which is just the same as 10mm you can bend that aswell, doesn't mean you can't cut it. Never had the impression that they were any different from normal copper imho.....well the ones I have fitted anyway

when I worked on site flexis were forbidden on most sites, so it was all rigid tails either soldered on or compression.

last lot of bristan tap tails i had where so poor, copper was so soft it took a while to reshape them to get a fitting on. that was on all 64 basin mixer taps i fitted on the site, there was no way i would have put a compression fitting on them.

when I worked on site flexis were forbidden on most sites, so it was all rigid tails either soldered on or compression.

personally you fit the tail that come with the tap, if somebody wants different then they pay!

last lot of bristan tap tails i had where so poor, copper was so soft it took a while to reshape them to get a fitting on. that was on all 64 basin mixer taps i fitted on the site, there was no way i would have put a compression fitting on them.

Could believe it mate but a compression fitting will work no probs.

Yeah they were crap. Last year, I had a simple morning job to change a basin mono tap (as above) the tails were rubbish. Ended up binning them and buying flexi's. Not a cop out, they were awful. I'm a big Bristan fan too.

Anyway, I have used compression joints on copper tails, no problem. I've also soldered them in the past....a loooooong time ago. Not sure if I'd do that now!!

Last edited:
personally you fit the tail that come with the tap, if somebody wants different then they pay!

no they came with flexis we had to order rigid tails, was either something to do with bacteria or they were not guaranteed for very long. I've yet to come across those type of tails so can't say for myself

Yeah they were crap. Last year, I had a simple morning job to change a basin mono tap (as above) the tails were rubbish. Ended up binning them and buying flexi's. Not a cop out, they were awful. I'm a big Bristan fan too.

Anyway, I have used compression joints on copper tails, no problem. I've also soldered them in the past....a loooooong time ago. Not sure if I'd do that now!!

one of the things that puts me off compression is that many fit iso valves straight on and dont leave any room to access them if they drip, you atleast need to seperate the fittings apart or stagger them in height..... I guess the cowboys who leaks i have had to repair have put me completely off compression for this. :(

no they came with flexis we had to order rigid tails, was either something to do with bacteria or they were not guaranteed for very long. I've yet to come across those type of tails so can't say for myself

it would depend if the client specd the tap, if so i would make them pay for the change.

i do disagree with people saying flexi's are only for diyers tho, you fit what comes with the tap! I have had taps costing over 400 squids come with flexi tails.

it would depend if the client specd the tap, if so i would make them pay for the change.

i do disagree with people saying flexi's are only for diyers tho, you fit what comes with the tap! I have had taps costing over 400 squids come with flexi tails.

I agree flexis are fine I have never saw a flexi fail if fitted correctly

Actually now that it's been mentioned I do seem to recall cutting a tail with my pipe slice and it just getting chewed. I think I remember blaming my slice.

they would of payed for it no doubt, it was NHS so was all stainless steel pipe maybe that was something to do with the material and bacteria or it was that they werent guaranteed as long as rigid pipework.

Flexi's are great I'm not knocking them

Last edited:
I have seen at least 2 or 3 flexis that have split. And they weren't twisted or under duress. They start to go black in an area, that's the first sign. And then it's a matter of time. Might only be cheap imports though.

wras approved should be min standard, alot of cheap tat about thats for sure.

they would of payed for it no doubt, it was NHS so was all stainless steel pipe maybe that was something to do with the material and bacteria or it was that they werent guaranteed as long as rigid pipework.

Flexi's are great I'm not knocking them

Your right about that quigs. i've done a good few hospital washrooms and on every occasion I have had to order rigid tails seperately from armitage Shanks because flexis aren't a wipeable surface. Joke is this is the shanks hospital range yet they supply flexis which are not allowed.

As for flexis in general if supplied I'l fit them but won't go and buy thenm to use instead of the rigid tails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15m copper tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, As I need to purchase two new taps for our en suite, I've noticed that almost all taps now come with flexi tails as standard. I've read some horror stories about these bursting / leaking so would prefer rigid fixings like the existing ones they are replacing. I'm looking to purchase this...
Replies
Views
Hi Anyone know of a pull out kitchen tap that has decent pressure? I have had low pressure from this tap for a number of years and it's not helped with the two 10mm tails that must reduce even further. Hoping something is around that I can use 15mm full bore tails and isolating valves but all...
Replies
Views
Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current tap is connected with copper down to plastic pipes. I've attached photos below of what's there now and what the new flexi tails look like (is that a...
Replies
Views
I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever type. For some reason the hot water running on the new single lever mono mixer tap is slow flowing compared to the old ones. The cold water running...
Replies
Views
Hi, One of the tails for our basin tap was leaking slightly; I was never sure if the leak was from the flexible or from the join to the tap. The flexible tail in question had been screwed in so tightly that the braiding was damaged in several places. A real struggle to get the old tails out, but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock