Search the forum,

Discuss What does a Mechanical Mate do??????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Luke20

Hi Everyone

I completed a plumbing 6129 course about 4 months ago at my local college, have sent out 100s of c.v.s looking for a plumbers mate job but with no success.

I registered with this agency last week and they have offered me a temp job as a mechanical mate working on a new block of apartments which could go perm for future projects.

Have a very very rough idea but not 100% sure what mechanical mates do?
worried might be out of my depth?

I was 100% honest with my c.v. she did not have a job description.

Thanks in advance for any help....

oldplumber

Thanks ever so much for your advice, after great thought & deliberation of your very in-depth articulate comment, have come to the conclusion was it really worth wasting 15 secs of your life to post that?

techy wee lad arent you, why not find out by asking the employer as they will be using your skills ,as much as they are, but like i said sweeping and tea making will probably be your main role in this post, as in any trade, start at the bottom of the pile and drag yourself up, if you think you are going to miss these critical training periods in your life, good luck. Finally remember smart alec comments normally end up with a sore head, at least thats the way it works around my way

Without gettin into any argy bargy , A mate is generally a laborour as it is in most trades but at least you would be on site to see the real world. Even if they pay you next to nowt

techy wee lad arent you, why not find out by asking the employer as they will be using your skills ,as much as they are, but like i said sweeping and tea making will probably be your main role in this post, as in any trade, start at the bottom of the pile and drag yourself up, if you think you are going to miss these critical training periods in your life, good luck. Finally remember smart alec comments normally end up with a sore head, at least thats the way it works around my way

yet again a stupid comment from a 'plumber'.

your the type i call a plumb.

the bloke is asking for advice, there is no need to reply in that manor.

Hi. Sounds like the job will be subject to drawings. The job may be pipework of steel/barrel, welded/ threaded, flanged or copper. It may involve ducting, suspended drainage/waste. Drilling for mechanical fixings, tanks,cylinders, boilers, dry risers. The positive thing being its a great opportunity to work with skilled operators and learn by example, the pace is not normally an issue, it just a case of head down a say little but ask a lot of questions. Good Luck

Thanks quality pretty much what I thought just be great to be on site get a bit of experience ask a few questions etc etc have no probs starting at the bottom doing the jobs no one else wants todo.

Thanks buddy

funny that oldplumber smart comments around my way also get a sore head to.

getting a bit heated in this thread,if you are not certain of the role of employment then ask the employer,SIMPLES:cool:

If it is working on domestic stuff it just means plumbers mate. (basically a plumbers labourer). If it is bigger stuff a pipefitters mate. You will be expected to know and be able to do some things on your own but don't worry about it if you don't know something. The journeymen will tell you what to do and show you how it is done. Your job may well include making the tea, sweeping up, passing tools or whatever else they decide you are doing, for a wee while anyway. You will have to prove yourself.
It will be good experience and you will learn a lot but only if you fit in.
Sites are not for smarta...s. Don't have an attitude (it will hurt) and do whatever you are told and show you are keen.
Remember with agency work if they don't like you, one phone call and they will have a replacement in.

It will be good experience and you will learn a lot but only if you fit in.
Sites are not for smarta...s. Don't have an attitude (it will hurt) and do whatever you are told and show you are keen..

Some good advice there

so my simple summary seemed to have answered the original question despite what the poster thought, and words of advice chill old son or you wont last the first day

The JIB for Plumbers full title is: The Joint Industrial Board for Plumbing and Mechanical Engineering Services.

So a Mechanical mate could simply be a contraction or shortening of that.

But the old idea of "mate" usually meant an assistant.

Just ask for some clarity. But I suppose you don't want to appear not being in the know, in case they think you are a bit green? Don't worry about it, we all probably feel a bit like that at times.

yet again a stupid comment from a 'plumber'.

your the type i call a plumb.

the bloke is asking for advice, there is no need to reply in that manor.

calm down before typing a manor is a large country house
manner is the correct referance word
and old plumber is merely stating that if the op had some gumption he would have asked for the employers details to check if he is capable and also with a quick temper like that odds on a clump from one of the people on site seems likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What does a Mechanical Mate do??????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock