Discuss Wet Underfloor heating system - stupid question? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaykay1975

Let me start with an appology, as some of you might think thsi is a stupid question / idea, but here goes anyway.

I am having a large conservatory installed (4m x 7m) and I would like to heat it from the ground up via wet underfloor heating. I've been told by the local plumbing merchants that I could get away with using speedfit pipework, plumbed directly into my new heating system (WB 32CDI), without the need to use a manifold. Ok so far.

Now I have had all my rad's replaced and I have a couple of old (thin / flat) ones which I was going to leave for the scrap man, but I had an idea, could I plumb these old rads into the current cetral heating system, and lay them flat on the floor, before my floor screed goes in (on top of florr insulation)? If not, why not? No one will know they are down there, and surely they will heat the floor (and room) up better than just plastic pipes??

Ok - shoot me down.

underfloor heating should not have any joints under the floor and the rads would only give off localised heating possibility of sludge build up and most of all its not really what rads are designed for sorry to burst your bubble but dont spoil your ship for a happorth of tar good luck turnpin

NO

What will you do when the radiator fails and leaks into the floor? Anything buried in the floor must have a life expectancy of at least 50 years I would not expect a radiator to last more than a few years in this situation.

There are other reasons why a radiator would not work in this situation but the above should be enough to put you off.

As regards using the speedfit plumb directly into the heating system again NO. The heating system will have a working temperature of around 80ºC, UFH has a safe maximum flow temperature of 60ºC and with a ceramic floor probably a design flow temperature of around 50ºC.

dont wish to hurt your feelings but that was one mega daft idea infact if you were even remotely serious i think you may need therapy:eek::eek:

Jay,I think you are completely missing the point and idea of under floor heating ,no offence but think you have been a tad lazy ,listening to others ,who obviously do not know that much about the issue,their are lots of reference points on line and threads on here,do your own research and after ½ hr you will see that the way you are thinking of under floor heating and what is required is a lot different from what you are thinking of now
You will realise rads are not needed under floor even if was OK to us

imho

i liked the question and it did make me think for a bit.
decided that all above responses are correct and its a stupid idea - i still like the question tho.:rolleyes:

Let me start with an appology, as some of you might think thsi is a stupid question / idea, but here goes anyway.

I am having a large conservatory installed (4m x 7m) and I would like to heat it from the ground up via wet underfloor heating. I've been told by the local plumbing merchants that I could get away with using speedfit pipework, plumbed directly into my new heating system (WB 32CDI), without the need to use a manifold. Ok so far.

Now I have had all my rad's replaced and I have a couple of old (thin / flat) ones which I was going to leave for the scrap man, but I had an idea, could I plumb these old rads into the current cetral heating system, and lay them flat on the floor, before my floor screed goes in (on top of florr insulation)? If not, why not? No one will know they are down there, and surely they will heat the floor (and room) up better than just plastic pipes??

Ok - shoot me down.

i don't mean to sound cheeky but is this a wind up?

I think you need to install any heating in a conservatory with separate controls ie room stat (separate zone) to comply with part L building regs

disapointed you may have been advised that this method will do - cos it wont do - but at least youve researched , and now you may be considering calling in a local trader to install - get a few quotes mate, and get it done PROPERLY, please dont scrimp and make do with hap-hazzard!! - i wont "go-on" as youve got the messge by now - Good Luck, - moore

nice new conservatory and you go and put old rads in the screed - cheers matey youve just brightened up my day.

as for your local plumbing merchant advising you to run straight off heating - go and give them a kick up the arse too!!!

you need a pump and a manifold - the underfloor heating must be run off the return, even that may be too hot and will need a blending valve.... anyways too much detail, you need to get a professional in and do this properly my old pal.

Rads under screeds definatly not a good idea, saying that over the years I have found rads in odd places for example under a bath, under kitchen units, inside boxings laying flat on the the floor between a swimming pool and a glasswall, even a draughty garage, and it always makes me wonder whats going through the mind of some people and installers when i find this sort of thing.

Another thing I have come across concerning under floor heating is where you price a complete underfloor system for your customer, and they say they have found a company that is cheaper, but still want you to do the rest of the job. I have had 2 of these recently and found when I get back on site, the under floor has been laid and connected to the manifolds and tested with 2 isolation valves, the customer is proud of the cheap job they have got, but soon realise the error of their ways when you ask them where is the blending valve and pump thats meant to be attached to the manifold. To which the customer replies dont you just connect straight onto the manifold then!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies peeps, and no offense taken, it was a bit of a tongue in cheek question regarding the rads under the floor.

However, I was serious about plumbing the underfloor pipe direct into the heating system. If it turns out my boiler can take the load, and if the only issue that remains is over heating the floor, then I am confident that a good thermostatic valve will keep the temperature at an appropriate level as well as switching the heating off completely when the conservatory isn’t used.

And, yes I know I could save myself some hassle by getting a tradesperson in to sort it our for me, but unfortunately I am one of those that like the challenge of working it out and doing it myself.... (and suffering the consequences of my bad work, should there be any!... which there hasn’t been to date). Its not about saving money, its about knowing I can do these things better than anyone else, as I will focus on every detail when doing any work to my own home. Unfortunately in my experience this isn’t the case with tradespeople, who get the job done, but tend to take shortcuts where possible... leaving me wishing I had done it myself in the end!

Thanks again for all the great feedback (and digs for the stupid question).

(P.S. Watch out for more posts when I get it all wrong :eek: )

Thanks for all the replies peeps, and no offense taken, it was a bit of a tongue in cheek question regarding the rads under the floor.

However, I was serious about plumbing the underfloor pipe direct into the heating system. If it turns out my boiler can take the load, and if the only issue that remains is over heating the floor, then I am confident that a good thermostatic valve will keep the temperature at an appropriate level as well as switching the heating off completely when the conservatory isn’t used.

And, yes I know I could save myself some hassle by getting a tradesperson in to sort it our for me, but unfortunately I am one of those that like the challenge of working it out and doing it myself.... (and suffering the consequences of my bad work, should there be any!... whi
ch there hasn’t been to date). Its not about saving money, its about knowing I can do these things better than anyone else, as I will focus on every detail when doing any work to my own home. Unfortunately in my experience this isn’t the case with tradespeople, who get the job done, but tend to take shortcuts where possible... leaving me wishing I had done it
myself in the end!

Thanks again for all the great feedback (and digs for the stupid question).

(P.S. Watch out for more posts when I get it all wrong :eek: )

no offence mate but u where wanting to put rads under the floor to give underfloor heating......

U will not do this job better than anyone else, far from it.

Stop wasting ur time and get someone in who doesn't come onto plumbing forums asking how to fit things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wet Underfloor heating system - stupid question? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back