Discuss Water Leak - into light fittings - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

annacorrianda

Hello. This morning, around 09:00, the flat above me had a major issue with their bathroom tap - they couldn't switch it off so all that water ended up in my flat, joy! It came through both my bathroom light fitting and my kitchen light. I quickly switched my electricity off and called my landlord by no answer, double joy! Its now 18:50 and Im about to leave work. I have since got hold of my landlord who says that by now it should be OK for me to switch the electricity back on and see if it works. I must stress, there was a lot of water, almost half a bucket full collected from both rooms (and even started to seep a little down the walls). My work colleagues think that I should leave it to dry out before even attempting to switch anything back on, and I agree with them. My flat mate is away at the moment so I really don't want to be on my own when I electrocute myself. What do you think I should do?

I really hope someone can help!
Many thanks, Anna

demand your landlord sends a registered spark round to re instate the power supply!!

Either get your landlord out to switch it on himself and take the risk himself or use a piece of wood to switch it on to ensure that you are insulated. It will probably be ok by now but please be careful.

I really feel that it is your landlords responsibility to ensure all is safe.

Thanks Woodytheplumber, you, and the lovely 'central heating' guys on this forum have confirmed my fears. I stupidly posted the above in the wrong thread! Sorry to have bombarded you all. But I really appreciate your advice!

Thanks Paulus, I won't touch anything until he comes round to investigate it himself. Unfortunately he is a landlord who likes to think he is a plumber/electrician all in one (just to save on money), so to be honest I worry that he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Im so glad I found this site. You have all been so helpful and quick to reply. Thanks again.

In all honesty Anna, If your landlord is the approachable type (Doesn't sound like it?) I would express your concerns to your landlord in writing (email). Do not turn the light on as if there is water sitting on your ceiling, it will blow your fuse, might make a loud popping noise, and probably result in making you concerns worse! Have you got a lamp? plug that in to a socket, away from any leakage, use an extension from another room if it makes you happier. It should all dry out in a couple of days. It can be a scary experience if you are on your own. Dont turn it on, leave it for a couple of days, and hopefully your landlord will do the right thing and send a qualified contractor around and quell any fears you may have. Dont panic, you will be ok!
Kind Regards
W
SWLondon Ltd

I would think it would be fine to switch back on now. But it is not your responsibility to do so.

the landlord can get electrocuted if it isn't. don't pull him off if he does get electrocuted have a length of wood ready to whack him off the socket.

the landlord can get electrocuted if it isn't. don't pull him off if he does get electrocuted have a length of wood ready to whack him off the socket.

Careful though it might be tempting to wack him a few more times to make sure, this might not go down so well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Leak - into light fittings - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock