Discuss water hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

morrijp

Hi Folks, I have an issue with water hammer occuring on all of my hot cand cold taps, washing machine, dishwasher and toilets. I have replaced the ball valves in the toilets and also had a couple of water hammer arrestors fitted but the problem is still there. I have been striggling to track down the cause and am starting to wonder whether the problem is with the mains stopcock. Is there any easy way (short of removing it) to confirm this ? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you got particularly high mains pressure. What is your mains pressure.

as said pressure to high or un restrained plumbing the 2 most likely causes

It can be very hard to find the cause, but it is usually a ball valve or a loose jumper in the main stop tap as you said. Try feeling it when the hammer is happening you will know if its the stop tap.

Eco

Hi Folks, thanks for the replies. I have been in this house for several years and the problem has only occured for the last six months so I would be surprised if it was a pressure issue. I have almost closed the stopcock and the problem still occurs. The pipework (as far as I can tell) is well clamped. Re the comment about 'feeling' the stopcock when the hammer occurs, what would you expect if it was a dodgy jumper - a vibration ?

Hi Folks, thanks for the replies. I have been in this house for several years and the problem has only occured for the last six months so I would be surprised if it was a pressure issue. I have almost closed the stopcock and the problem still occurs. The pipework (as far as I can tell) is well clamped. Re the comment about 'feeling' the stopcock when the hammer occurs, what would you expect if it was a dodgy jumper - a vibration ?
Yes a vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I have been a plumber for 3 years now, I haven't come across many issues with water hammer so I'm not to sure what to do. it happens...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock