• Thread starter Billy Bob Bob
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 227
  • vans

Discuss vans need some TLC too,share your fixes on your vans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

well spent some time on my old reliable expert today only cleaned the outside once but did not bother doing that cleaned the inside instead,next i looked at a earthing fault when you signal left the brake light flashes no biggy to fix,just a bit of corrosion on the light cluster plug bit of a clean up and some wd-40 sorted,next job the heaters gone west comes on full then dies found to faults the pcb on the slider control was caked in cack causing the fan slider to play up took it apart cleaned the contacts in the slider but the fault was not totally fixed took the fan motor out bit of a job when your unfamiliar but easy enough once you get going the fan motor resistor was burnt ordered a new one off the bay for 80 squid,£300 with peugeot /Citroen/fiat so the morale of the story is if you want to save money get stuck in after all being plumbers/gas engineers we are practical people if you do your own vehicle maintenance share your experience with others,as the trend as been over the last few months quite a few members have been asking how do i service my van,change its brake pads etc

Hate the vans too many electrics , could spend days tinkering on the landy

I do the servicing and repairs on the vans and my cars,I think it's cos I'm tight. At least I no its done right tho.

I only put diesel and drive ! Two new
tyres to be fitted on saturday as the second hand one i did buy are out off shape and van is shaking when i do 70mph :(

It's not mechanical skills I need it's body work expertise. Bloody van seems to collect dents and scratches on daily basis.

It's not mechanical skills I need it's body work expertise. Bloody van seems to collect dents and scratches on daily basis.
when i just had the expert sign written somebody rear ended it when it was parked at night and just drove off i was hopping

Ive got a beauty ,

So Bought my first own van about four months ago , sold my beloved b,w 328ci V6 for it :( and some new tools to go inside, anyway I digress... So been commuting from edinburger to glasgow to do a fit out for a mate in a 4 metre by one metre bathroom grr, would not normally do that but hey the pay was good, so after three days my van it is a wee vauxhall astra combi 1.7cdti , 113k on the clock, brand new timing belt , part serv hist, great wee runner so far , or so I thought, so was pulling into my street with the tunes on on a friday , pushed the accelerator , nothing, mmm, turned music down, it had stalled , oh no i was thinking , anyway it restarted , I parked no bother ! Went out to goto the gym , on the way there , it done it again , but got home without doing it afterwards.

So saturday morning out to do some banking etc nice and early , great day , get in motor hundred yards, does it again, wont start , phone my mates garage , explain situation, right how quick do you need it fixed he askes lol, I am like now ! he was like right bring it along, Ill look at it today and call you back . So few hours go by , he calls me up , had the diag machine on it, looks like the fuel pump is gone, I was like right and ? He said well probably about 700 quid for a new one , plus labour, but you need to cut timing belt to get at it, so if you do that , new timing belt and kit required, another 100 or so , so basically about a grand , I was like, right , put some exact figures together for me , bear in mind though , the van only cost me 1200 ;)

So I go home, and I was like right investigate, as it occurred to me , by as gasman rightly states apply plumbing / gas engineer practical logic to it, and save a few quid , which I did by thinking , well if it is the pump, surely if it is starting and stopping the pump has not failed , it is what is controlling the pump, as the pump being mechanical will work or not , it is its control unit that I started to think was to blame, anyway long story short, researched online, came up with ecu for unit as being particularly bad at getting dry joint on the board, found a guy who fixes them and gives a lifetime warranty for £40, so I phoned my mate , told him to strip out as I was giving this a punt first, needless to say , I never got a bill from the garage, and my last few valets have been free! I also said to my mate who owns the garage , I would be available three days a week .

So aye get stuck in ! it saved me nearly a thousand pounds and 3 days earnings lost !

having spent 2 years as an apprentice mechanic i tend to do most my own stuff . got stuck on the rear wheel bearing of my current van fiat ducato. as it needed a hydraulic press to get the bearing out but hey 1 quick call and garage down pressed it out for a tenner. do all the servicing etc to be honest its the best van ive had.

biggest mistake was buying an lpg vauxhall combo nightmare burnt valves out 3 times in 18 months. twice it cost me £150.00 to do it myself but the first time i was in gosport doing my grans bathroom.
had to get home cost me £900.00 oh how i cried. i darent tell my gran otherwise she would have insisted on paying for it.

My mate for Ducato, nearly every day something falls of it. Never let him down just keeps getting lighter.

Just had a reminder from local garage that as van is 4 years old this mount needs to get a new ***belt and water pump :( £510 inc Vat ! This month paid for mot, road tax , 2 new tyres and now new belt .......never ends this maintance on our vans

stan you don't need to go to main dealer to get this done and keep service record intact. you can shop around for the best price now.

Van has done 45k only , but they say need to be changed every 60k or 4 yeaes what ever comes first

Have you checked with the manufacturer? Seems a very short time to me.

Bit off topic but anyone know if u can buy door locks like the bg vans or what's the next best thing , ta

sent from my annoying box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to vans need some TLC too,share your fixes on your vans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
whats the craic. things are going tight enough in ireland aswell.{recession and all that] bare ing this in mind, there s still room for a laugh...
Replies
Views
BrianL
B
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock