Discuss twin immersion tank fed from solar pv diverter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
scratching my head a bit. ive got a plumber fitting a rm stelflow 250l with twin immersions. my idea is to feed the top one first then the bottom one once the top one has tripped its stat setting. the problem is most stats seem to have only normally closed contacts, I need normally open. one idea I had was to feed a contactor from the top immersion, but that wont work as the supply to the immersion will be pulsed from the pv diverter. could I leave the thermal cut out in series with the top immersion and then use the top immersions stat to control the contactor? or is this a safety risk?

When the top is hot the bottom is about 10c cooler . Convection will smash that in about 5 mins. Don't worry yourself. As soon as u open tap lots of lovely cold water comes in so it will hit equilibrium but then it all goes in a few seconds.

Fit a large bottom immersion and an immersun and forget it

Engineer or rocket scientist? Answers on a postcard please

Last edited by a moderator:
What part of the above posts did you not understand ?

DO NOT RE-WIRE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM AN UN-VENTED CYLINDER it is both illegal (under the Building Regulations AD Part G) & potentially very dangerous.

Your "Plumber" who is installing the cylinder must by Law hold a Part G / un-vented ticket they would / should have explained all that you need to know.

You will get no further help or advice on here for this reason.

Last edited:
which part of my post did you not understand? if Im switching between the 2 immersions using an external thermostat im in no way compromising the safety of the 2 immersion heater stats. that's like saying you cant fit a changeover time switch to heat the top first then the bottom. why make a cylinder with 2 immersions?

could I leave the thermal cut out in series with the top immersion and then use the top immersions stat to control the contactor? or is this a safety risk?

which part of my post did you not understand? why make a cylinder with 2 immersions?

I understood perfectly your post right from the off, the words "or is this a safety risk?" told me all that I needed to know.
Now you may well of copped the hump by my tone but were safety is concerned sometimes you need to be blunt to get the point across.

You may well have the electrical knowledge to wire what you want however that is not the issue is it, the requirement is that you understand how this all relates to the workings of an un-vented cylinder & the inherent risks of making modifications to such.
Like I said speak to your man on site who is competent & can see what you are doing !!! If he can't or you haven't, then get one quick.

hes taking the line I only plumb. he leaves the electrical stuff upto his electrician. to be honest I think what im doing is beyond your run of the mill plumber, even rm were a little out of there depth, but said my idea of using a pipe stat to switch between immersions should work. part of that idea has to go to a member on another forum who suggested using a contactor and external stat. with the pipe stat listed above I don't need a contactor, as its rated to 15A and has changeover contacts.

Go on then, although it goes against my better judgment, what are you trying to achieve by this ?? If the PV is used to heat the lower immersion then hot water will accumulate at the top of the cylinder, the longer it heats the more of the cylinder water gets heated until the temp gets to 60-65 at the lower stat.
Top immersion is only used as top up on economy 7 cylinder or back up heating if no sun depending on cylinder type.

the reasononing is in the shoulder months there will only be enough pv to heat the top. I suppose another way would be to have a manual changeover switch, kinda like a summer/winter thing.

No, just wire to the bottom only, what is available is what is available, & it will all accumulate at the top of the cylinder anyway under convection. You are over complicating it.

What is your back-up heat if sun not enough to provide for your HW needs ?

Top element on a timer or is there a coil (indirect cylinder)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to twin immersion tank fed from solar pv diverter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We are having PV panels fitted which will dump the excess energy into our hot water tank. Our house originally had a large 210L economy7 hot...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future...
Replies
Views
I have just had a new boiler and 210 ltr unvented tank fitted in the loft to replace a very old Baxi back boiler. I have now fitted a Solic 200...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I should start off by stating that I'm not in the industry - I'm just a DIYer with a "what-if" idea. Hybrid systems and solar...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would really appreciate some advice on a proposed change to my central heating circuit. I am able to divert excess electricity from my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock