Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder Single coil heat pump vs twin coil solar in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler.

I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at least for the short term.

Assuming I only stick to a heat only boiler, I've heard these options would warm the water up quicker:
  1. Twin Coil Solar version - Connect in series so x2 coils of around 0.6-0.9m^2 surface area to heat water up quicker
  2. Single Coil Heat Pump version - Coil has larger surface area ranging from 2.3-3m^2 which in turn heats water up quicker
  3. Combo of option 1 and 2
What option would you recommend to heat up water quicker from the above options, mainly option 1 and 2 as option 3 is double the price of option 1 in most cases.

I'm looking at Joules, Kingspan and Telford brands for their twin/heat pump variations but open to suggestions for any others. It'll be installed in the garage and propety is 4 bedroom, 2 bathrooms and high usage individuals with long showers 😆

Thank you.

What’s the kw of your boiler ?

A stnd indirect coil normally is 20-25kw so that will do easily if you go for a 25kw one

Eg gledhill pluin300

Normally heat up time is around 30 mins etc

A stnd indirect coil normally is 20-25kw so that will do easily if you go for a 25kw one

Eg gledhill pluin300

Normally heat up time is around 30 mins etc
Ok thanks, is having that in twin coil with both coils connected in series theoretically reduce the heat up time when connected to the boiler?

I've heard of these new Mixergy cylinders, whether it's worth having that instead as you can heat up a small amount of water for 1 or 2 people in 10-15 minutes.

I'm essentially ensuring i have a moderate sized cyclinder that has a good heat up time no matter which option I take.

Ok thanks, is having that in twin coil with both coils connected in series theoretically reduce the heat up time when connected to the boiler?

I've heard of these new Mixergy cylinders, whether it's worth having that instead as you can heat up a small amount of water for 1 or 2 people in 10-15 minutes.

I'm essentially ensuring i have a moderate sized cyclinder that has a good heat up time no matter which option I take.

No as above you would need two boilers both at 25kw to get any advantage but then that’s twice as much gas more efficient to let one 24kw boiler and one 25kw coil run longer etc

Do you need that much control eg just heat enough for two people ?

If your boiler delivers 24KW of heat to coils with a 50kW capacity, the hot water still only receives 24KW of energy and so heats up at the same rate.
The coils for the cylinders are an output of around 20kW, the input would be much lower at around 3-5kW based on the boiler is my understanding?

The coils for the cylinders are an output of around 20kW, the input would be much lower at around 3-5kW based on the boiler is my understanding?
? Why 3-5kw would give 24kw

Reply to Unvented Cylinder Single coil heat pump vs twin coil solar in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock