Discuss Today was going to be an easy day. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Just had to drain the heating system, connect up the new run to the towel drying rads upstairs,move one rad downstairs, correct the bodge to another rad and add one more downstairs. Looking like being done by 3 at the latest.

It all went wrong as I reversed into the driveway. I got in so far and ground to an abrupt halt. Something was very wrong. I tried to move forward and didn't move. Surely I hadn't? I gave it a bit more welly and shot forward. I got out and looked and I was right, the manhole cover had collapsed as I'd driven over it. This wouldn't have been so bad had it not been covered in 6" of shingle. I was standing looking at the 6' deep inspection chamber with a foot of beach and a shattered cover at the bottom of it when the customer returned with her two dogs. She knew something was up as apparently I'd gone white as a sheet.

Closer inspection revealed that when the previous occupants formed the driveway they left the existing pedestrian cover in place and covered it in the shingle. The customer was very relieved that it had collapsed under the land rover rather than her car as the small wheels on her car would have disappeared done the hole rather than straddling it like the land rover wheel.

What a fun time I had down there shovelling pebbles into a bucket and tipping them back onto the drive above my head. To really help matters it was an old chamber with an interceptor which had naturally also filled with pebbles so the wet vac came into action sucking the pebbles etc. out of the interceptor.

It was quite a pleasure to get out of there and set the new 10 ton cover in place on top. It then took me half an hour to clean everything up before I could start on the heating alterations. It seemed like I was down there for an eternity but it only took me 2 1/2 hours to sort it all out from when I first fell down the hole.

I've had my van go through a manhole cover, bloody thing was stuck. Had a huge hangover. Had to jack it up and put a slab underneath it. The front tyre wears funny now, I've had it lazer aligned as well.

Just had to drain the heating system, connect up the new run to the towel drying rads upstairs,move one rad downstairs, correct the bodge to another rad and add one more downstairs. Looking like being done by 3 at the latest.

It all went wrong as I reversed into the driveway. I got in so far and ground to an abrupt halt. Something was very wrong. I tried to move forward and didn't move. Surely I hadn't? I gave it a bit more welly and shot forward. I got out and looked and I was right, the manhole cover had collapsed as I'd driven over it. This wouldn't have been so bad had it not been covered in 6" of shingle. I was standing looking at the 6' deep inspection chamber with a foot of beach and a shattered cover at the bottom of it when the customer returned with her two dogs. She knew something was up as apparently I'd gone white as a sheet.

Closer inspection revealed that when the previous occupants formed the driveway they left the existing pedestrian cover in place and covered it in the shingle. The customer was very relieved that it had collapsed under the land rover rather than her car as the small wheels on her car would have disappeared done the hole rather than straddling it like the land rover wheel.

What a fun time I had down there shovelling pebbles into a bucket and tipping them back onto the drive above my head. To really help matters it was an old chamber with an interceptor which had naturally also filled with pebbles so the wet vac came into action sucking the pebbles etc. out of the interceptor.

It was quite a pleasure to get out of there and set the new 10 ton cover in place on top. It then took me half an hour to clean everything up before I could start on the heating alterations. It seemed like I was down there for an eternity but it only took me 2 1/2 hours to sort it all out from when I first fell down the hole.

Still not as bad as dropping a cover down a 12ft chamber in the middle of the road and having to climb down and get it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Today was going to be an easy day. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct...
Replies
Views
N
Hi I've had a new bathroom plumbed and an en suite in the room next door. All new plumbing to the outside sewer along one wall, plumber had free...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am just about to move into a new build property. I took the water meter readings and they read 000000,620 I had a look around the...
Replies
Views
Having just moved into a property and discovering the central heating not functioning, after 3 months we eventually was able to get the property...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock