Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic shower mixer leak - cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowscreen

Hi,
I have this thermostatic shower mixer but it doesn't have any branding on it.
Unfortunately it's leaking, a slow drip from the arrow on the left where I presume I would just need to get a new olive in there with some PTFE.

The bigger leak though is from the right hand side (in the picture I've removed the temperature control piece to get a better look)
After a shower if I turn the temperature to full cold then the leak isn't quite as bad as if it's left on a hot setting.
Am I looking at needing a new cartridge?

If I can't identify the brand I guess I'm looking at just having to replace the whole bar instead

Any views?

ttp://s113.photobucket.com/user/DPS1984/media/shower_zpsf92aca2e.jpg.

Hi,
I can't see the picture, I copied and pasted and put 'h' at the beginning but no joy.
Getting an old olive off can be difficult for a pro so maybe try 5 wraps of PTFE on the exposed olive and re tighten the nut, you don't need to gorilla it, make sure you wrap the PTFE in the direction that the nut tightens so you don't undo it while tightening.
From what you say my guess is the cartridge might need replacing, if you can get it out take it to a local merchants (not one of the big chains) and they will be able to source a replacement for you.
It's possible that just an o-ring needs replacing on the cartridge if the running temperature is good and stable, but a new cartridge will mean a longer lifetime for your shower.
Good luck!

shower.JPG

Picture should now work, site wouldn’t allow a url.

I’ve taken the temperature knob off to get a better look at the cartridge but I’d be very surprised if I can get it out without a real struggle.
The leak actually appears to start from the centre knob of the cartridge rather than round once of the edges.

I think I’d have to remove the unit from the wall to be able to have a real go at getting the cartridge out, I’m tempted to just buy a Mira Coda Ev 2 and fit that in it’s place to save messing around.

I guess I can always buy the Mira and then when removing the old unit give it my best shot at removing the cartridge, then look for a replacement if successful.

Before starting, guess I need to turn off my stopc0ck and either run a hot tap in the bath until the tank is empty…… (take a while) or go in my airing cupboard and use 1 of the red wheels (concerned they’ll fail as house is 20 years old and it’ll turn into a bigger job)

It will be far easier to swap for a new bar shower. If the connections are 150mm most will fit.

That's a Showerfarce valve, unreliable rubbish at best. Swap for Mira Coda.

As the others have said, just swap it provided the pipe centres are 150mm apart.

You should have isolation valves on the pipes into the shower to save you trouble. You may need to go in the loft and trace the pipes from the shower to the cold water tank and the hot cylinder. If there is a pump fitted maybe in the airing cupboard, that should have isolation valves for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostatic shower mixer leak - cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of a long, steep hill. We struggle with very high and often fluctuating (around 7 bar) water pressure, which wreaks havoc with our water heaters. I've...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock