Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss thermistors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob the plumber

when checking ch/dhw thermistors on a boiler breakdown what do you lads use to take the tempreture of the pipe work. went on a worcester breakdown course recently and the engineer/trainer there had a multimeter looking device with a piece of cable coming out from it that wrapped round the pipe work? anyone know what they are and who makes them?

cheers bob

They are called strap on thermocouple. Does your multimeter have a thermocouple connection?

cheers si, my multimeter hasnt, you couldnt pass me onto to a page and show me one that has?

cheers

bob

Some of the Fluke multi-meters have a thermocouple connection and function on them. Alternatively, you can buy a dual-channel thermometer with thermocouples for <£20 on Ebay etc. It looks a bit like a multi-meter. K-type thermocouple probes are the most common.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you have an fga ? this may have K type thermocouple connector.
you can buy clip on or wrap around ones with this type of connector an plug into fga ?
imo

I have come across a few other sites with strap ons but I doubt they're of any use .... They look like they're could be used for taking temperatures but I wouldn't fancy it :rofl:

I have a cupl for my fga ... joking aside :)

thanks simon, just looked at the price on ebay 160 quid :( i know what im looking for now thought so thanks all

How about a dedicated instrument - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Two-...ermocouple-Sensor-1300-C-2372-F-/270887344801

It will show you both readings from each thermocouple on the screen or the temperature differential between the two as well as Max, Min & Average. I'm thinking of buying one so that I can easily balance our radiators - the differential setting will be useful for this.

You can tape the thermocouples to pipes with electrical tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a dedicated instrument - something like this:

Dual Two Channel 2 K-Type Digital Thermometer Thermocouple Sensor 1300°C 2372°F | eBay

It will show you both readings from each thermocouple on the screen or the temperature differential between the two as well as Max, Min & Average. I'm thinking of buying one so that I can easily balance our radiators - the differential setting will be useful for this.

Your really over thinking balancing.

Real plumbers use their hands :p

do you have an fga ? this may have K type thermocouple connector.
you can buy clip on or wrap around ones with this type of connector an plug into fga ?
imo

i dont but the boss does, he has an anton v2 and i know what you mean, it would probably take one :)

1 instrument 1 calibration fee, thnik telegan has dual input ? old sprint 2000 does :)
think it does ?

Last edited:
when checking ch/dhw thermistors on a boiler breakdown what do you lads use to take the tempreture of the pipe work. cheers bob

In answer to your question I have rarely if ever checked the temp against thermistor resistance readings. Usually found the readings to be way out of the mi's recommendations when faulty! I use to have a multimeter type thermocouple probe that was surface touch temp sensitive, broke it! have also considered getting an infra-red temp reader. can't justify the cost. Ended up buying a cheapy off the internet but found it unreliable!! So carry a few sensors as stock as they're cheap and usually easy to swap for testing purposes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thermistors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello All- (Usual caveats apply: I am the rather unusual part-time variety of a GSRE, training self-funded and slowly trying to make my way and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the forum but thought I’d sign up to try and get some help with a customers boiler. Bit of background on the boiler first. The...
Replies
Views
System has been largely unchanged for about 15 years, Worcester oil boiler and about 18 rads, all cleaned or new back then, but boiler recently...
Replies
Views
J
Went to a breakdown (?) - the customer complained that the dhw gets really hot and then turn cold on a combi. Initial thought was overheat stat or...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
T
Hi guys I'm a gas safe engineer and am currently struggling with a breakdown. I was called to the property to fit a new filling loop (remove...
Replies
Views
Kev the gas
K
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock