Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Thermal store/heat pump setup in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thehat

Hello from a newbie - we're renovating a detached bungalow (70 sq m), not on gas, and oil/LPG both undesirable/impractical. The plan is underfloor heating with an Ecodan air source heat pump, and a thermal store which will eventually have solar thermal added - also keeping options open and will have ports for a wood burner just in case.

I realise the ASHP isn't great for hot water, and I believe this one can be connected to the UFH directly without buffering through the store (which will probably be from Newark). Is it possible/sensible to have a set up where the ASHP and the UFH can be connected directly to each other, but also each of them could be connected to the store?

(Yes, I *know* some people hate heat pumps, and it seems very hard to find plumbers who know anything about thermal stores. But there seem to be people here - Ecowarm? - both knowledgeable and open-minded! And if any of you knowledgeable and open-minded peple happen to be in Oxfordshire, do drop me a PM!)

Thanks!

Hello "the hat"

The man you want to speak to is "Unguided1" he is in Oxfordshire and in to heat pumps going through the MCS accredtation process and knows his stuff.

Or move to Lincolnshire and I can help.

Or put me up with beer and food and I come and have look!

Just a thought ...... you only need a very small heat pump for underfloor, lots of insulation a 3kw or 5kw would do direct to the underfloor. No need for thermal store. Look at this for hot water Domestic Hot Water Systems, Under Floor Heating, UFH, UK, Scotland, Ireland, Wales - Earth Save Products Ltd heat recovery from bathroom extractor vent and they have a solar coil as well, I dont know what they are like first hand but am thinking of trying their products. Also the chilled air can be ducted to larder or pantry.

Thermal stores have there uses and the one from Newark are very good.

If you was having Radiators then I would say go for a thermal store and run every thing from that.

Eco

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - alas nowhere to put you up given the current state of the place!

Yes, I know Earth Save - interesting and helpful bunch, but their ASHPs have a high dB rating compared to some others. But I'm now doubting an ASHP altogether, given how many people are against them... Maybe we should live there for a winter and see what our need are first before shelling out so much money. Ach, so many issues...

Hi the hat

where abouts in sunny oxfordshire are yer if you need any help just PM me

regards

Mike

Hi Mike - thanks. I've seen your posts on other forums and had wondered about making contact already! I can't send PMs yet as I haven't posted enough here, but if you can PM me your email address I'll drop you a line.

Cheers; Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermal store/heat pump setup in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock