Discuss That question again this time of year... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom Perkins

Gas Engineer
Hello, It's that time of year again when everyones put their heating on and you watch the Operating pressure struggle to get to where you want it..
I'm after a bit of advise regarding what people have left on safely with regards to operating pressure.. I have just fitted a 34cdi.. I didn't check the op pressure of the old Worcester 34CDi I took out (1990's job) but having come to commission the new install tonight had only 12mb standing and didnt even bother with operating... called the gas board out and he did the usual cv..bridge the meter, but nothing worked... checking next door they were rocking along at 15.2 working (so he said) and similar up and down the road.... so there is a problem in the road..and he clearly looked worried he was going to have to start shutting people off...dont envy that job tbh... point is, he seemed to think if he could get me to 15 like the rest it's all good.... it's not, as mentioned in TECHNICAL BULLETIN TB 0040 a (2010/09) - 15mb is for only a short time and shouldn't be left like that...
I cant commission a 34cdi on that even if he does get me 15mb.. 14mb on 34cdi isn't accetable is it..
So whats the score? I dont do loads of this sort of work, and rarely have a problem like this which isn't fixed by CV swap or meter/ blockage.. the pressures are usually good in this area...
any advice appreciated....

Hello, It's that time of year again when everyones put their heating on and you watch the Operating pressure struggle to get to where you want it..
I'm after a bit of advise regarding what people have left on safely with regards to operating pressure.. I have just fitted a 34cdi.. I didn't check the op pressure of the old Worcester 34CDi I took out (1990's job) but having come to commission the new install tonight had only 12mb standing and didnt even bother with operating... called the gas board out and he did the usual cv..bridge the meter, but nothing worked... checking next door they were rocking along at 15.2 working (so he said) and similar up and down the road.. so there is a problem in the road..and he clearly looked worried he was going to have to start shutting people off...dont envy that job tbh... point is, he seemed to think if he could get me to 15 like the rest it's all good.. it's not, as mentioned in TECHNICAL BULLETIN TB 0040 a (2010/09) - 15mb is for only a short time and shouldn't be left like that...
I cant commission a 34cdi on that even if he does get me 15mb.. 14mb on 34cdi isn't accetable is it..
So whats the score? I dont do loads of this sort of work, and rarely have a problem like this which isn't fixed by CV swap or meter/ blockage.. the pressures are usually good in this area...
any advice appreciated..

An update to this if its of any interest. The gas main in the road was flooded and had caused similar working pressure throughout the entire street, 6 homes were shut off over that really cold night yesterday including my customers. The water was pumped out and for now the pressure is back up to 20mb standing, 18.5 operating at meter, with boiler under full load reading 16.5mb gas valve - right on the limit for this make and model. Come full load on the gas mains in the area, i imagine it will drop back down again under what the manufacturer requires, but not a lot i can do about that. everyone in the few roads effected are in the same boat and are just being left on for now.

Standard this time of year normally either

Water in the line
Crud in the line
Leaking gas main :D

Just to name a few

I had one a couple of yrs back - did a tight test & got a static of 55mb! Called Transco out who confirmed my digital gauge hadn't gone mental, he the went up & down the street & got similar reading elsewhere. He was on the verge of shutting off the whole street when he went round the corner & saw a Centrica van at the sub-station. Apparently they were 'adjusting' the regulator at the sub. So all kinds of weird things can happen around this time of year - I wouldn't stress too much about it for now. Maybe pop back in a week or 2 to put your mind at rest.

I had one a couple of yrs back - did a tight test & got a static of 55mb! Called Transco out who confirmed my digital gauge hadn't gone mental, he the went up & down the street & got similar reading elsewhere. He was on the verge of shutting off the whole street when he went round the corner & saw a Centrica van at the sub-station. Apparently they were 'adjusting' the regulator at the sub. So all kinds of weird things can happen around this time of year - I wouldn't stress too much about it for now. Maybe pop back in a week or 2 to put your mind at rest.

Just what I did Sid, cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to That question again this time of year... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. We have had two leaks at home in the last 2 weeks; luckily we were in for both events and...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock