Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Take a deposit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bikerbas

hi all
If you priced up a big job say like full central heating install and boiler and the customer happy with price and you book the job in for a couple of weeks do you ask for deposit up front,or do you just buy all the parts which could be 1500-2000 and hope when you turn up they havent changed there mind or got somebody else in.

definitely take a deposit upfront, not only does that help you in getting some sundries etcc... in for the job, it makes the customer realise they cant go and cancel the job/ get someone else in, unless theyve got money to burn.

I've never taken a deposit for any boiler fit I've ever done and never had a problem getting paid.

Depends on the situation do you think the customer is going to change thier minds?.. all in all it is best that you ask for a deposit though if you are going to book the job in as they are paying for your time and you musthave some sort of fall back if they do decide not to go ahead and you have spent a few quid on the job already......bronzino i never used to take any cash before completion of the job but after being done a few times i can't afford not to now

We always take a deposit upon the signing of the installation contract. The gear is delivered
the day before we start usually.

Legally any goods on your customers premises delivered or fitted are their property
in law so why not get them to pay up front for the items. We then present our bill
for payment when the project is completed - this is our labour plus sundries and any
extras outside of the quotation.

This way no one gets exposed to 2 much outstanding money and trust is maintained
both ways.

centralheatking

hi all
If you priced up a big job say like full central heating install and boiler and the customer happy with price and you book the job in for a couple of weeks do you ask for deposit up front,or do you just buy all the parts which could be 1500-2000 and hope when you turn up they havent changed there mind or got somebody else in.

always ask for a deposit its all about not exposing yourself financialy,it cements the deal between you and the customer,they are commited and so are you
if you ordered a bed from a supplier chances are you pay all of it upfront you are no different from any other business

bob

if i have to pay for the materials then i ask for payment when i start the rest when the job is finished to the customers satisfaction

steve

Must admit never had any problems with customers paying but they will be some out there.
Big jobs il get them to cover the parts

if i have to pay for the materials then i ask for payment when i start the rest when the job is finished to the customers satisfaction

steve

thats what i do - i explain i will order the materials and that i operate a fifty per cent deposit on the day i start - then the other fifty once completion of the job.
i turn up a week before i start heating installs to put cleaner in system ready for flush on day of starting. phone a day or two before im due to confirm i will be there and what time.

I don't take a deposit as I prefer to trust my customers and only ask for money on or soon after completion. So far this policy has not let me down and it suits me.

Did you hear the "But" coming?

This suits me but I can quite understand it is not a good idea for a company where there are other employees involved. It's one thing for me to lose out on a job and have to skip the odd meal but it's quite another when you have people working for you as you have a responsibility to them as well so you'll want to ensure customers sign documents, pay deposits and so on.

Must admit, I like the idea of taking money for materials and leaving rest of payment to the end.

this is what i have done for about 6 years now.

I take payment in 3 3rds.

33% at time of booking when they agree to quote
33% on the day we start, at that point they have all products at their house
33% on completion.

For me this has been the fairest way, dont ask me what happens to the other 1%. (just before some smart rse lets me know)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Take a deposit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock