Search the forum,

Discuss T4TS Scenario 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rooman

Hi there, this is for anyone who has completed the scenario or can give guidance.

I need to do a soundness test and system check on both the hot and cold water in a direct system. I am struggling to get it right. Just looking for some advice.

Cheers roo

Hi. Can you expand the question as i am assuming you mean a visual and pressure test?

Hi there, this is for anyone who has completed the scenario or can give guidance.

I need to do a soundness test and system check on both the hot and cold water in a direct system. I am struggling to get it right. Just looking for some advice.

Cheers roo

Do the pressure test through the washing machine valves, it`s the only way to do it on that scenario.

Just have to replace to taps which is easy...in real world i recon i would just use visual to check for leaks etc, but for this test you have to do a soundness check which as i read in my handbook does include pressure and then complete a full system check.

Will go on now and try with the washing isolators, cheers.

hey dude, the soundness test is though the washing machine open the cupboard u will see two pipes red and blue
isolate the water
disconnect the pipe attach the kit active water check pressure
isolate water disconnect kit attach pipe isolate water
do that for hot and cold. then system check.
recommend changing taps first

cheers beanie, the problem i was having was not looking straight in so couldnt really see the pipes, when discovered them it all fell into place, plus had some other guidance which was really helpful. hope all is well.

cheers beanie, the problem i was having was not looking straight in so couldnt really see the pipes, when discovered them it all fell into place, plus had some other guidance which was really helpful. hope all is well.

Have you managed to complete the soundness and system check. I am struggling to get right. Please help for completing Scenario 3. Thanks in advance.

Have you managed to complete the soundness and system check. I am struggling to get right. Please help for completing Scenario 3. Thanks in advance.

under the sink, crouch (c) and you should see some pipes.
and then do a water check.
been a while since i done it but thats the main problem i had with it.

beanie

Soundness check This is a simple version of the full soundness check cutting out the time waiting section, for this scenario we ask you too COLD SYSTEM fit a gauge measure the pressure, turn on a cold tap recheck pressure, turn off tap recheck pressure, remove gauge. HOT SYSTEM as above but this time we will seal the system so we can apply pressure, so you need to cap the open vent, close the gate valve in the airing cupboard and most important of all shut down all forms of heating the water, this should be done first. To fit the gauge click on the washing machine HOSES

Thanks for your reply, that's about soundness check but how we do the full system check. I have on and off all water system but doesn't seem to work. Thanks in advance

Hi,
Whats T4TS ?
Is it a computer based learning programme ?

just curious - thanks

Thanks for your reply, that's about soundness check but how we do the full system check. I have on and off all water system but doesn't seem to work. Thanks in advance

Im stuck with that bit too. Its always that which fails me every time no matter what I try.

Can anyone help?

Hi,
Whats T4TS ?
Is it a computer based learning programme ?

just curious - thanks

Its Train4Trade Skills

And the scenarios are on a CD which you have complete one by one as codes are given via their site which you have to be a student for.

Ive done it!!!!

Finally - mind you T4TS did provide a slight hint on what I was missing.

Im happy now!

ps sorry for bumping this thread

Hi guys I'm on these scenario too...slight problem is the system check.....is this a case of turning off all valves and taps, and slowly feeding the system and turning on one by one.Thanks in advance

Soundness check This is a simple version of the full soundness check cutting out the time waiting section, for this scenario we ask you too COLD SYSTEM fit a gauge measure the pressure, turn on a cold tap recheck pressure, turn off tap recheck pressure, remove gauge. HOT SYSTEM as above but this time we will seal the system so we can apply pressure, so you need to cap the open vent, close the gate valve in the airing cupboard and most important of all shut down all forms of heating the water, this should be done first. To fit the gauge click on the washing machine HOSES

Walkthrough Scenario3
This worked for me.
Isolate and replace both dripping taps first...check to see they are working.
Then do a visual check of both systems....top to bottom....don't miss a thing...inspect everything as in scenario 2.
Then cap the vent in the loft.....turn off the boiler....isolate the hot water wheel in the airing cubboard.
Return to kitchen sink and click on the washing machine pipes (cold and hot)...isolate them..connect the kit...unisolate them and do the pressure tests.
Finally make sure all isolation valves are open....the vent is uncapped...the hot water in the airing cupboard is turned back on....finally turn the boiler back on....close all the doors and leave a happy house.....and bobs your uncle
Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
What pressure do they ask you to test the hot at in these scenarios?

Hi
1.5-2 times working pressure on the hot ....and the cold is direct in this case,so its mains pressure.

They are giving you ill thought out training and information as the maximum test pressure would depend on the rating of the cylinder.
Most vented hot water cylinders fitted are grade 3 but sometimes you will find grade 4 and sometimes others.
Maximum test pressure on a grade 3 is 1.45 bar and maximum working pressure is 1 bar.
Grade 4 max test pressure is 1 bar and max working pressure is 0.6 bar.

Here is a scenario more like real life.
3 story town house, hw cylinder on mid floor.
The working pressure on the pipes below the ground floor would be in the region of 1 bar, the pressure on the hw cylinder will be approx 0.6 bar. Say it is a grade 4 cylinder which would be on the limit of its working pressure but ok.
Test that at 1.5 - 2 bar and you may need a mop and an insurance claim form.

Check and think before you do anything and don't blindly follow what you are being taught.

Hi
I completely agree with you...I have found many discrepancies between the teaching and real life...but for this scenario that is what they ask for...

How do you actually conduct the system soundness test?

I am now aware that you must insert the pressure gauge at the service pipe of the washing machine, and the hot water works at 1.5 bar but the cold water is reading 10 bar which is well out of the normal range.

How do I rectify this and again then continue to conduct the system check?

if you dont know im sorry get someone in as its unlikely you have a 10bar cold water system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to T4TS Scenario 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock