Search the forum,

Discuss stove is a disaster waiting to happen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_mc

stove.jpg
anyone notice anything wrong
seen this for sale on gumtree and noticed the plumbing of it is wrong and it is a disaster waiting to happen.
if the pump fails bang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh that's a lovely one!!

There's a fair few tasty mistakes with that... I'm guessing it's not one of the new expensive posh ones with quench coils and interlocked failsafe controls etc fitted that can be sealed and pumped without gravity heatleak circuits?

Timebomb!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that's a lovely one!!

There's a fair few tasty mistakes with that... I'm guessing it's not one of the new expensive posh ones with quench coils and interlocked failsafe controls etc fitted that can be sealed and pumped without gravity heatleak circuits?

Timebomb!

The stoves you describe can be more dangerous than the old type because they depend on a feed from the main water supply to cool them down in the event of the stove overheating.

What can we expect the customer to do when the electricity fails causing the pump to stop when the customer relies on their own well for water?

Of course the pump for the well won't be working without electricity.

what a **** up.

I recall turning up on a job once where some baboon has simpley connected an old SF back boiler to a sealed combi system.

what a **** up.

I recall turning up on a job once where some baboon has simpley connected an old SF back boiler to a sealed combi system.

Yep, there's some real good ones out there, I went to one where the home owner had saved a fortune by taking the flow and return off in 3/4" (22mm) and teed into two 1/2" pipes in the floor of the upstairs bedroom and used the tappings on the other side of the stove to pick up the two pipes on the downstairs circuit, same connections 3/4" off the stove to 1/2" pipes with a pump to circulate downstairs.

The primary system was pressurised oil system, I should have known he was an idiot he wanted 60 tube solar array fitted to a standard 30 gallon cylinder using a heat exchanger.

Needless to say he never got a price from me, I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Have come across 2 jobs that I recall, that had a large back boilers for open fires joined with the primaries dropping downwards! One man said that he forgot to leave the pump on one Sunday & came back from church to find the " place trembling"!
Strangest one, was a glass fronted fire that was for heating, that didn't actually heat the cylinder! Turned out that the old original direct 3/4" primaries had been used & after disconnecting them from old cylinder, they had been let drop down a lot of inches & added to & connected to new coil! The boiler must have been pressurising into rad circuit! Should add that they had also nailed the floorboards down with 4" wire nails! Split the joists obviously!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to stove is a disaster waiting to happen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all - hoping someone knowledgeable can help as I'm super confused by this.... I have a standard system / gravity fed boiler, large cold tank in attic, hot water tank in airing cupboard etc. I recently found that the hot water coupling into my shower pump (salamander) had sheared (the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock