Search the forum,

Discuss Where is the water coming from?? Hot water tank keeps dripping.... in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

DuncanP

Hi all - hoping someone knowledgeable can help as I'm super confused by this....

I have a standard system / gravity fed boiler, large cold tank in attic, hot water tank in airing cupboard etc. I recently found that the hot water coupling into my shower pump (salamander) had sheared (the plastic 90 degree elbow on the anti-vibration coupling). Anyway, fine, ordered some new anti vibration couplings and shut off the isolation valves (all 4) on the pump while i wait for them to turn up. I also turned off the cold water inflow to the hot water tank so I can keep the cold water on while I replace the couplings. All fine I thought, I'll just drain the hot water in the pipework and wait for the replacement parts. However, when I turn on a hot water tap, after an initial surge while the water in the pipes clear, the water from the hot water tank keeps dripping - granted slowly, but enough to fill up a large saucepan every 3-4 hours. Not a big issue, but seems strange - where is the water coming from??? Any ideas? Do shut off valves normally leak a bit? Could there be any backflow from the cold water system? Could the heating loop inside the tank be leaking into the tank?

Many thanks,
DP

Hello Duncan.

Yes a shut off valve can pass, they’re not supposed to but can. It could be that it’s not shutting off properly anyway.Could be backflow/crossover and this would need to be confirmed.

Reply to Where is the water coming from?? Hot water tank keeps dripping.... in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock