Discuss Stanley Range Help Needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I was called out to a stanley which had the heating side stopped working. The pump was stiff, the rubber coupling shredded and the motor windings burnt. I have replaced all 3 but when I try to run it, the motor struggles to turn everything. (works fine when not coupled to the pump). It's one of those 2 solenoid pumps BFP 52 EL5. You get a very sooty flame and the motor seems to be struggling. It's as if something is causing resistance to the pump. I haven't checked anything between the pump and the nozzle yet, nor whether there is a voltage on either of the solenoid plugs yet. When the burner starts up for the first 2 seconds it runs at top speed then starts to labour and gives a very weak flame. The oil pressure is wobbling around on startup, around the 150psi mark. I haven't left running more than a few seconds as the motor gets very hot.

Any suggestions? Could it be a supply to one of the solenoids? Not have chance to study the instructions in detail yet.

No all runs freely. The problem occurs when you try to run the pump at operating speed

2 things:
Check the bolts that hold the pump on, could well be over tight, that's my main suspicion. Also take the nozzle out and you can unscrew a check valve in the stem ( I think there's one in that one), take it out and check it for blockage.

I called Ecoflam who advised me that they have been having this problem recently with the type of pump in question and I had been supplied with a faulty replacement pump. Another new pump from a different batch and the boiler was working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stanley Range Help Needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Worcester Boiler. Really annoying. All works as it should fine in normal use. However have to go away for a couple of weeks at a time. I put the...
Replies
Views
Bosch Sauce
B
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a noisy fan on the boiler so investigated, just a bit of dirt in the casing however, having removed...
Replies
Views
Lincoln22
L
My water stinks. Smells musty. I installed a Whirlpool water softener mid February of this year ('23) and it's smelled ever since. So here's the...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have an issue with my Ideal Logic+ System S24 boiler which I hope someone can help with. Below is as much detail as I can think of. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock