Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Logic+ System cycling when no HW or C/H demand in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. I have an issue with my Ideal Logic+ System S24 boiler which I hope someone can help with. Below is as much detail as I can think of.

The boiler has been running constantly (cycling?) 24/7 for the last few days, during the recent very cold snap and since.
HW and C/H are running fine, as per programmer and room thermostat.
However, instead of being in Standby mode when there is no call for HW or C/H, the boiler remains on.
Burner comes on and runs up to the flow temperature (usually set to about 65 degrees).
After a couple of minutes, burner stops. Pump remains on. Radiators remain cold.
HW cylinder is a Megaflow Indirect Unvented. HW remains hot (maybe hotter than usual but I may be imagining that).
During this 'cycling' there is a good deal of gurgling or hissing sounds from the boiler and you can hear the water in the flow/return pipes gurgling away too as though there's a good deal or trapped air.
Also, from time to time the boiler resonates with a vibration and sometimes goes into Fault F2 (Flame Loss) but recovers itself after 10 or 20 seconds.

The boiler is in an unheated garage with unlagged condensate pipework, so I checked for the obvious blockage of ice but the pipe is clear.

I first noticed this issue during the recent very cold snap and thought that maybe it was in Frost Protection mode, although I have not seen FP in the display. I don't know if it has a pipe thermostat for this.

Other things that may be relevant:

Boiler was recently serviced. No faults found, except for low pressure in internal expansion vessel. No settings altered.

Fernox recently applied due to a persistent loss of CH circuit pressure. Pipework leak suspected and Fernox appears to have worked. Not needed to repressurize since.

Due to garage location with flow/return pipework only partially lagged routed through loft space, I have installed a ceiling and insulated above and applied pipe insulation.
Ambient temperature in garage during cold snap was more or less as per outside temperature.
After insulating, still low during cold snap but not as low and assume frost protection may have still kicked in if fp thermostat located in garage (unknown).

I had hoped it would return to Standby mode since weather turned mild, but no luck. Boiler still misbehaving.

PS. We only moved into this property a couple of months ago, so we don't know the full history of the boiler or C/H & HW system and its design, nor why pipework wasn't properly lagged.

Any help gratefully received.

Re the F2: Are you sure the boiler was serviced? There’s a distinct difference between a service and a safety check.

Re the constant on: I would suspect a faulty motorised valve, especially with the hot water being constantly hot and rads cold.

Re the F2: Are you sure the boiler was serviced? There’s a distinct difference between a service and a safety check.

Re the constant on: I would suspect a faulty motorised valve, especially with the hot water being constantly hot and rads cold.
Hi, Thank you for your reply.
Re the 'service'. I certainly requested a service, which was undertaken by a gas engineer. I watched. It took about 45 mins and appeared to consist primarily of cleaning out components within the casing. Finally, readings were taken from the flue sampling point and recorded on the service record.
Re the motorised valve. I've been looking at and trying to understand the system (previous home had a Combi - so simple). This system has 2x 2 port motorised valves. S-Plan, I presume. If DHW valve is permanently stuck on, would this mean permanent switched live to boiler, mimicking permanent demand for HW? Would this mean boiler is constantly maintaining HW cylinder temperature setting? I recently reduced the programmer DHW timings down to 2x 15mins a day as we appeared to have plenty of HW!
Or have I misunderstood how these things work?

Nope seems like you have sussed it out. If you have any test eq this can be confirmed. It does sound like you’ve had a service then, but your ignition fault migraine be something that’s been missed or the meter regulator.

Nope seems like you have sussed it out. If you have any test eq this can be confirmed. It does sound like you’ve had a service then, but your ignition fault migraine be something that’s been missed or the meter regulator.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Having watched some YouTubes on the subject, including one with exact same motorised valve - a Danfoss HPA2 - I'm convinced its the culprit.
I'm having to wait until after xmas for my heating engineer to return. However, as it happens, this morning boiler entered Standby mode after its programmed period of C/H and DHW. First time in over a week. Yesterday I manually operated the valve's lever several times in case it just needed freeing up a little. No idea if it's a coincidence. I will still get it looked at by a competent person despite seeing how its repaired/replaced courtesy of Youtube.

Reply to Ideal Logic+ System cycling when no HW or C/H demand in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock