Search the forum,

Discuss Soldering copper tails in modern houses. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of modern houses have plastic pipes with copper tails, so behind the plasterboard would be a pushfit fitting with a rubber seal. If the copper tails need modifying then how close to the push fit fitting could you solder without heat transferring along the pipe and damaging the seal? Attaching a heat sink to the pipe would help to stop the heat transferring but interested to know what others do?

depends how close the pushfit/rubber seal is to the soldered fitting. done loads od these and genally heat tranfer is not a prob, direct heat is the prob. Closest i have worked is about 300mm away and itn has been fine

It's a good question. Not in terms of how can we know how close we are allowed to solder because all manufacturers of plastic pipe and fittings do have specific distances you're allowed to solder from their products (I don't know them from memory but someone here will post them)

The reason it's a good question is quite often you won't know what is in a wall or under a floorboard you'd rather not have to try and lift. So do you take a chance of do you use compression?

Even if you were, say 300mm away, if you heated the fitting/pipe for a bit too long, the heat would transfer far & be severe. Plastic pipes would need well clear. Glad I don't use them. :smile:

Try useing the slim copper tactight fittings (pushfit) a bit pricey but can get you out of a spot.

The minimum distance to make a soldered joint near Speedfit pipe or fittings is 450mm. Anything less and the heat can damage the fitting even if not immediately apparent that it has. Flux will completely destroy a O ring in a push fit fitting. Use a good quality compression fitting like Kuterlite instead. Using solder and flux at 300mm is far too close.
Here's a useful link for future reference. Download it and put it on your Smart phone or Laptop:
http://www.cabp.co.uk/acatalog/speedfit_guide.pdf

from memory most manufactures recommend between 400 to 600mm. Both the speedfit and polypipe reps that used to visit the building sites i worked on a few years back would tell me 500mm min.

if the 1st fix was done correctly then you should be fine, but thats a big IF. Normally when i have first fixed with copper tails to rads and sanitary i cut a 3m length of copper into 4 so i always leave 750mm min.

Went to a burst 22mm Hep pipe recently. Boiler control stat had failed & flow pipe from boiler, about a metre away, had swollen in two places & split at one of them. If this can happen with hot water, then blow lamp heat would be worse.

There are a lot of older houses that have domestic hot water systems running at well above 65 degrees which is the recommended maximum for most Speedfit pipe and fittings. Had one blow into orbit last year, even though it was 100% fitted correctly. The heat was a factor from the ancient hot water system. I rarely use it now and certainly not without a TMV.

If I'm concerned about heat travelling down the pipe and onto a plastic fitting. I will soak a rag, and wrap it around the plastic fitting and the pipework, or as close to it as I can.

Not a sure fire way to avoid heat transfer damage, but it will cut the heat transfer down.

this is one of the reason's why i refused to install feed and vent pipework in plastic at my old firm, many did tho.

Yeah, feed and vent in plastic is just a horrible idea. I'd refuse too.

It has its place though.

Best may be proud that he never uses it, but either way he's going to encounter it. Plastic is everywhere.

Yeah, feed and vent in plastic is just a horrible idea. I'd refuse too.

It has its place though.

Best may be proud that he never uses it, but either way he's going to encounter it.
Plastic is everywhere.

I know! It's making my life miserable! Lol! :smile:
At least I can guarantee heat won't affect my copper pipes!

I will be moving a cloakroom sink in a brand new house, it is wall hung and the tails are quite short. I would assume that the main pipes are in plastic and as watertight says I would not know how far away the tails join the plastic. Compression fittings would look a bit ugly so I may cut out a section of plasterboard to see and then reroute the pipework behind the plasterboard and replace the section, look a lot better.

Use Cuprofit, copper push fit fiitings. They look similar to Yorkshire soldered fittings, are the same size and look neat when installed. Available from Screw Fix and they are my favourite push fit system, although I will always prefer solder.

Even if you were, say 300mm away, if you heated the fitting/pipe for a bit too long, the heat would transfer far & be severe. Plastic pipes would need well clear. Glad I don't use them. :smile:

the problem with not using plastic is that on some jobs it will take you twice as long & might even cost you twice as much, you will probably lose some jobs because your too expensive . i dont have a problem with plastic for certain situations.

the problem with not using plastic is that on some jobs it will take you twice as long & might even cost you twice as much, you will probably lose some jobs because your too expensive . i dont have a problem with plastic for certain situations.
Not going to go into copper/plastic pipe + & - points, except to agree that copper pipe is often the harder thing to use. Can't see though why a plumber will do a easy job using push fit, when soldered or compression using copper will be also quick. That is the trouble with anything that saves, even a little time, tradesmen will use it everywhere. On a house recently, that was getting a complete new gas system & plumbing, the customer was told by his engineer that it had to be plastic pipes as copper could not be fitted upstairs. He was stunned when I informed him that I had already fitted the main pipes in copper for him!
Better to give the potential customer the option of copper or plastic, & let them decide if they want to pay extra. But I know a lot of prices out there for plastic jobs are actually dearer than what a copper install would be!

Last edited:
Not going to go into copper/plastic pipe + & - points, except to agree that copper pipe is often the harder thing to use. Can't see though why a plumber will do a easy job using push fit, when soldered or compression using copper will be also quick. That is the trouble with anything that saves, even a little time, tradesmen will use it everywhere. On a house recently, that was getting a complete new gas system & plumbing, the customer was told by his engineer that it had to be plastic pipes as copper could not be fitted upstairs. He was stunned when I informed him that I had already fitted the main pipes in copper for him!
Better to give the potential customer the option of copper or plastic, & let them decide if they want to pay extra. But I know a lot of prices out there for plastic jobs are actually dearer than what a copper install would be!
your right about it's better to give the customer the option, i was only bring it up cause you said you dont use plastic, i reckon you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing so. copper is usually the best way but plastic has it's uses. What about them 1.5m flexi's for under a bath, there even better than plastic lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering copper tails in modern houses. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current tap is connected with copper down to plastic pipes. I've attached photos below of what's there now and what the new flexi tails look like (is that a...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to be fitting a tap like this one: And just wanted to check that this is the correct part for connecting to 15mm copper pipe using compression: https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-compression-straight-tap-connector-15mm-x-1-2-/58294 If not, please could someone let me know...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with the experience I have picked up over a lifetime. I can make copper pipe runs isolaters taps sink shower etc but me and the missus have bought a small...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
I have a CH boiler installation with a nice simple vertical condensate drain, down and out through the wall to a pipe outside. All is as it should be but I'm fitting an upgraded external pipe setup to include insulation. The inner 22mm pipe mates with the 32mm pipe just inside the house. It...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock