Search the forum,

Discuss soldered joints, "tining" end. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rabu

Hi, just a question on soldering joints, was talking to a bricklayer today, who can plumb, (plumbed all his house, water + centeral heating number of years back).. anyway he said when he used "end feed" he used to "tin" the end of the pipe befour inserting into the fitting then continue to solder that fitting and pipe, then wipe with cloth and he claims he only ever had 1 joint leak out of all hise work he did. Does anyone "tin" the end of there joints? and if so, why? does it make it stronger or easier? Im practicing soldered joints with end feed by, cleaning pipe and fitting, then small smear of flux (laco) on both pipe and fitting, heat up, let solder run round joint then wipe round with damp cloth, seems to give a neat finish. is this way right? Any advise or opinions welcome, thanks.

Do not put flux into the fitting !
Clean pipe and fitting , flux pipe , insert pipe wipe off any excess (with practice this bit disappears), heat and solder. Wipe down. So you are there :) well done. No need to tin ends .

I guess its a way of insuring the solder has got between the fitting and pipe but ive not had a end feed leak yet unless the pipe was initally wet.
If cleaned and fluxed correctly the solder will get drawn in by capillary action anyway.

Fluxing the endfeed wil leave a dollop inside the fitting which the solder follows, ending up with solder inside the actual pipe itself rather than just the fitting.

Think the Brickie should of stuck to just a plumb line :p

you do not need to tin the pipe but it does not hurt if he felt more confidant that way and he would have had the same one leak probably any way,must admit got a better rate than me !!:p but then again I do not have the finesse of a bricky.
I also hate LaCo with a vengeance and apply a small amount of flux to fitting and pipe,as I do solvent weld cement,bit of a anarchist too :cool::p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with Laco as far as i'm concerned. I never use anything else. If the pipe is really dirty give it a clean.
Powerflow can make the fittings lock up and Everflux makes me itch looking at it. Don't like Yorkshire either.
Read the data sheets for flux and compare them

i agree,i only use laco too,dont like the other stuff buts its a fallacy that the pipe does not need cleaning as for telux used to use that once but its now a old mans flux very greasy and fittings and pipe must be scrupulously clean

One of the best jobs i did as an apprentice was polishing the fitting till i could see my face in them. Loved it :D

One of the best jobs i did as an apprentice was polishing the fitting till i could see my face in them. Loved it :D
i see you let it slip nowadays lol.:D

Attachments

• 8c1208dd61da2cce.jpg
    8c1208dd61da2cce.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 61

how is it the picture of your elbow thrashing back and forward an image i find uncomfortable :eek:

Nothing wrong with Laco as far as i'm concerned. I never use anything else. If the pipe is really dirty give it a clean.
Powerflow can make the fittings lock up and Everflux makes me itch looking at it. Don't like Yorkshire either.
Read the data sheets for flux and compare them

your going all modern reading data sheets, remember in the old days when we didnt read the instructions for fires/boilers/showers till we couldnt get them to work

Last edited by a moderator:
how is it the picture of your elbow thrashing back and forward an image i find uncomfortable :eek:

I was young and full of energy then :D

your going all modern reading data sheets, remember in the old days when we didnt read the instructions for fires/boilers/showers till we couldnt get them to work

What do you mean "in the old days" :D

at that age, putting a shine on it causes concern to hair growth and sight loss:D

I use Everflux, always have. Plus I clean fitting and pipe with a rub up strip. Finally I flux fitting and pipe.

I guess I'm making work for myself, but it's very hard to break habits. I have a tub of Laco, I might try it tomorrow...treat myself!

Everflux king of fluxes , only apply to fitting cleaning not required unless a piece of mank pipe , water soluble completely unlike laco where you can leave joint unsoldered and it wont leak

I'm using up a large tub of Powerflow at the moment, I just can't help giving the pipe a quick wire wool. It dosn't need it I know!

imo.
fittings and pipe only need cleaning if oxidized or contaminated.

cleaning all takes time if you can spare it on the job!.

then it depends on the properties of the flux, some clean better than others.

experiment with the dirtiest of fittings that you can find to see what you can get away with using your brand of flux.

ooh er; sound like bernie for a mo. lol.

Redsaw, I use Everflux, I know it's very aggressive but I've nothing to compare it to. When you say oxidized, I assume you mean brown and not red, but there's oxidised and then there is OXIDISED!!

The reason I'm so interested is, for years I have stuck fast to my ways, and if you add the time up I may have spent wasting my time cleaning and the time I will in the future....well it's not good.

I employed another plumber a few months ago, and he did lots of what I see as cardinal sins. Didn't clean his fittings, reheated and moved joints, and cooled joints with a damp rag....that said he was quick!

One thing he did time waste on though. He tightened every Hep20 joint with his grips. I told him he was wasting his time, but he just had to do it!!

I employed another plumber a few months ago, and he did lots of what I see as cardinal sins. Didn't clean his fittings, reheated and moved joints, and cooled joints with a damp rag....that said he was quick!
works for me,
helps getting in a full system in over a day n half, when time dont matter we tinker around then, which aint often.:rolleyes:

Sounds ok to me too , certainly with everflux you don,t need to clean anything , have look by just heating up a piece of manky old pipe and then brush on your flux , you,ll see how good it is ,(I last had a leak with in back in uuumm 199? or there abouts lol;));)

Ah, well cheers fellas. Its good to hear that. I'll stop being quite so retentive when sweating a joint now.

If I get any leaks though, I'll be banging on your door!!!!! ;)

am i the only one who uses fernox flux? ive had no problems and i only clean very oxidised pipe or fittings (dark brown)

KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to soldered joints, "tining" end. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock