Discuss Shower Pump Problem When Starting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DEMPSEY1965

Hi can you help (again!)

I have a Stuart Turner 1.8 twin showermate that has started to misbehave when starting. When I turn on the shower the water trickles through for about 15 seconds before starting the pump, but will start ok if I turn the valve to cold. Everything thereafter works ok, temperature etc is fine and if I turn the shower off then back on again no problems. I have removed the switch on the side and given it a few shakes to see if it is stuck but that hasn't made any difference. I did run upstairs to the pump while it was trickling and squeazed the hot hose and it started up. There are no filters that I am aware of but to me the problem points to hot flow. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

DEMPSEY

Would need to turn water off & remove & check hose + check if it has a filter washer & clean if needed. Often hot filter is dirty.
Is hose bent or straight? Should really never be bent, - only pipework if it had to be.

It was installed in 2005 and I replaced the pump circuit board about a year ago if that is any help.

Regards

What about the shower valve itself? It will have built in filters for sure, & also check the shower hose - if it isn't a fixed shower head. If it has a hose, will pump start, if hose end is open/lowered?
Stuart & Turner might be worth giving a ring to, for advice.

ok many thanks will try all the above tomorrow to see if that sorts out the problem and will let you know if it is solved.

Regards

Hope you find something obvious, but could still be in pump flow switch, I guess. Worth ringing S&T technical help, for any pointers, if not sorted. Good luck!

i had a fautly float switch on the same pump the otherday, check this by holding a magnetic screwdriver over it to see if it starts

Ok I think I have sussed it, well it works all ok now. I have just moved the temp a little to the cold side and everything starts. Maybe the sensor was a little out but it does say max working temperature is 65 degrees. The thermostat on the hot water tank is set to this so I turned it down a fraction. Well whatever it was out of the two it now starts ok with no problems.

Many thanks for all your help once again.

A blending valve makes sense for a pump hot supply, as you need cylinder to be 65 degrees, but this is really too much for pump, & too hot to shower with anyhow!
Maybe your flow switch is sticking?

Just tried to have a shower and the bloody thing has gone again. I put a screwdriver over the switch outside and the pump started. Think I will ring Stuart Turner in the morning. I have tried different scenarios, I turned the valve to maximum hot and ran upstairs to the pump. The slightest movement of the hot pipe/hose started the pump. If I put to max cold the pump starts fine. It is def something to do with the hot side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower Pump Problem When Starting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

When I turn on the shower or bath, initially the pump runs (quite loudly) and only a trickle comes out. I have to alternate turning on the bath...
Replies
Views
Hi all I had a new bathroom fitted about 4 months ago and all was fine until about a week ago. But now when I turn the lever to run the rain head...
Replies
Views
We have a pumped shower with a thermostatically controlled mixer valve. My wife complains that when she is having a long shower (hair wash etc)...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Back