Search the forum,

Discuss Sewer smell from shower plug hole - dodgy air admittance valve? Pls view pic and help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JJBanjo

image.jpg Hi, I hope you guys can see the picture? To explain; this photo has been taken through a hole cut into my garage ceiling exposing the outlet from my bedroom ensuite contained within the garage roof space. The toilet is directly behind this wall, as is my shower - the White 90 degree is the shower outlet I guess? Across the ensuite against an internal wall is a small basin which I think, and I'm guessing again joins the shower outlet before it exits the wall as in the pic. I only guess this because when the sink taps are running you can hear the water from the shower plug hole. The problem is this; when we run the tap from the basin it is kicking up really bad sewer fumes from the shower plug hole? I did some reading about AAV's or Durgo valves not working properly. I kind of understand why I would have a AAV as the Soil vent pipe doesn't actually protrude through the roof to be external yet I don't know what or where the AAV would be and I can't see one? Anyway, I'm going to get a plumber to look at it but just wondered if the online community experts could give me some valuable advise prior so I can at least try to understand what's going on. Thanks for reading and appreciate any feedback.

JJ.

Re: Sewer smell from shower plug hole - dodgy air admittance valve? Pls view pic and

there isnt one you have two options

one either extend and use come 45s to miss apex and vent to outside

two install a aav and make sure the roof space is vented eg if you can leave the access hole there or install some grills / vent tiles

and the shower waste needs sorted some 45s and new pipe should do that

Re: Sewer smell from shower plug hole - dodgy air admittance valve? Pls view pic and

Durgo should be fitted on the brown soil pipe at the top of the branch before the underside of the roof in your pic. Looks like you don't have one
Looks like the white elbow makes a double trap before entering stack?? Not sure why?
The smell is caused by the basin pulling water out of the shower trap. I would check the seals around the shower trap, it will be a cup like bit under the chrome cap.

Thanks guys, at least I can have the crack with the plumber now and ask why there isn't a Durgo fitted. I guess the best solution if I can afford it would to go through the roof like you suggest. I don't know what I'm looking at but I'll ask about the double trap also.

Cheers.

I'd take a guess at no proper shower trap and that loop is the trap. Fool of poop from the wc.

i would love to see how thats connected to the shower

All the different colours of pipe signal alarm bells and DIY installation to me! I'd agree with Simon, they have used the pipe to form a trap

Ooh nasty. I'd get the plumber back as that screams diy or handyman

I'd take a guess at no proper shower trap and that loop is the trap. Fool of poop from the wc.

Spot on in my opinion, I doubt a durgo would make much difference to you at the moment
Ask the plumber if a trap was fitted on the shower and basin wastes outlet
If it was, remove the selfmade trap, plug the existing boss (fitting where the waste pipe enters the soil pipe) and take pipe into the other boss available,so that it isn't directly opposite the toilet waste
Then fit a durgo
If no shower trap fitted, then fit an 1 1/2 running trap (or similar) and take waste into other boss as described above, should solve your problem but you'll need access to clean trap periodically
Or shove some Drainguard type cleaner down it once a month

Thanks for the advice guys. Conclusion - needs a professional to sort it because it's a bit dodgy as it is but it can be sorted quite easily.
Cheers everyone.

You've basically got sewage in that bodged up trap. This means you will have foul water sitting in your shower waste and that is stinking up the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sewer smell from shower plug hole - dodgy air admittance valve? Pls view pic and help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock